33. Shared

-Jack-

-Jack-

I followed everyone in silence as we were returning to Aurora's home. Arch was right next to me, and I could feel his worried glances on my face, but I kept my eyes on the wet ground.

I felt empty. I was empty. I couldn't feel a thing as I listened, searching for them. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe the emptiness I was facing. I couldn't believe it was actually real.

They were...

Gone.

I took a deep, slow breath, and let it out even slower. Nothing. The word, free, scared me, so I didn't dare to use it. Not yet. What if it wasn't real? What if they had somehow managed to avoid getting blasted out of me? What if that peacekeeper had been unable to get rid of them all, and they were still inside me, lurking... waiting...

The arrow itself hadn't hurt me, but when the shadows got torn off my souls... That fucking hurt, but only for a brief second. Oliver was good at relieving pain. I didn't want to know how much pain I'd still be in if he hadn't been there to take it away.

I needed to thank him. I hadn't had the opportunity to thank the peacekeepers before they returned to their fortress to get ready for Cameron's inevitable return.

Tilly held the bow like a precious gift as we walked, her eyes never leaving the golden bones. The bow really was a special gift. If only we'd had it before, we could've defended ourselves. I could've gotten rid of the infestation sooner. But I understood why the peacekeepers had stayed away until now. They'd been hunting down Cameron.

I shivered at the thought of that shadow and glanced at Jaden. He'd been possessed by Cameron only for a brief moment, but he had to be shaken. To get possessed by something as horrifying as a corrupted champion of the gods... Only after a few days, Ryder had been in pretty bad shape, too.

By someone like... me. I still wanted to laugh at the thought. I was no one's champion. I was just a fucking runt of a dead pack.

'Ahem...'

I rolled my eyes at the sound of Fenrir's voice in the back of my mind. He had to be mistaken. He must've confused me for someone else. And even if I was his chosen champion, he'd made a terrible mistake.

'Oh, stop it. I'm a god. I do not make mistakes.'

I snorted at his words, gaining Arch's attention once again.

"Could you get out of my head?" I asked out loud.

'Nope.'

I sighed.

"Is everything all right?" Arch asked quietly.

"It's nothing..." I muttered, pointing at my head. "It's just Fenrir up there..."