CHAPTER ONE

It's a sunny Tuesday afternoon, and the crisp autumn air has gotten Steve's cheeks painted red with a cool blush. If he weren't in such a rotten mood, this weather would have him feeling almost giddy. The fall season was usually filled with hope. Afterall, October kicked off the holidays, and the holidays were when the greatest number of people found their soulmates each year. At least that's what he heard on the news one time.

     But it was different this year. Steve had all but given up hope on finding his soulmate. Good and pure things like that just never seemed to be in the cards for Steve. So he decided to stop caring. Or, try to stop caring. He hadn't exactly succeeded. All he'd managed to do was put himself into a major depressive episode, convinced he'd never find his soulmate, and never find anyone else to care about him.

     It was starting to look like it would just be Steve and Two-bit against the world forever. But he was sure that Two-bit would find his soulmate soon enough, and then he would​​ really be alone. His hand travelled to his ribs fingers grazing the words that had appeared on his skin just two years ago. He hadn't met a single person to utter them yet.

     He glanced over to Two-bit, trying to find his tattoo. He knew he wouldn't though. All the years they'd been friends, Two-bit had never told him what his tattoo said. He'd only mentioned that he'd gotten it a couple times, but other than that didn't seem to care too much.

     "Cheer up, man." His red-headed friend threw an arm around his shoulder as they walked along the street. "I ain't never seen you so down in the dumps. What's been going on?"

     Steve just sighed and shrugged Two-bit's arm away. "Just in a funk, I guess." He wouldn't dare tell Two-bit what his actual problem was. He'd never hear the end of it. Steve had never made himself out to be the romantic type. He hadn't even let on that he really cared about finding his soulmate at all.

     But he'd been lonely recently. Especially since his old man had started kicking him out of the house more often.

     Steve looked up at the sky. Come on. He pleaded to the universe. I just want to meet them.

     "Why don't you come over to my buddy's house? Ever heard of the Curtis's?" Two-bit gave a wide grin. "There's a guy there that's your age. Name's Sodapop. You'd like him I bet. Yall'd get along better than a Soc and daddy's money!" Two let out a loud laugh.

     Steve rolled his eyes. "I've heard better jokes." He shook his head. "And maybe next time. I got a job interview over at the DX, remember? I was telling you about it last week."

     "Oh yeah, I was probably sauced."

     He probably was, Steve thought.

     A new job seemed like the perfect way to kill time since his dad had been on his case so much. He'd managed to get an interview and he was determined to nail it. "Speakin' of my interview, you got any idea what time it is?"
Two-bit held up his watch close to his eyes.

     "Four nineteen."

     "What!?" Steve cried out, grabbing his friend's wrist and examining the watch himself. "You sure this ain't fast?"

     "Yeah, kid. I'm positive."

     "Christ. I'm gonna be late." Steve began to pick up his pace, waving good-bye to Two-Bit. "Tell your friends I'll meet 'em next time!" He called out before turning around and breaking out into a full on sprint, determined to make it to the DX gas station by four thirty.

     Part of him really was sad to miss out on making more friends with Two-bit. That's all he'd wanted lately. But he also really needed to get this job. No other mechanic shop was hiring, and none would hire a seventeen-year-old boy anyhow. This was the only place in town that he could really utilize his skills.

     When the DX was finally in sight, he slowed down to catch his breath, not wanting to look like a sweaty mess in front of his, hopefully, soon-to-be boss. He was nervous, in spite of his best efforts to appear cool and collected.

     He made his way to the front door, just as another guy walked out. Steve couldn't help but do a double take at the person as he walked past. His wheat-gold hair shined in the sun, falling around his forehead in careful wisps. He was a greaser, like Steve, but he was far more handsome. Really, he was too handsome to be a greaser.

     The guy turned around and caught his eye as Steve stared. He flashed him a dazzling smile before walking on his way.

     For a moment, Steve thought about calling out to him, and asking for his name, or if they could hang out sometime, or maybe if they could be friends. He pondered over it for a moment before deciding that it was too creepy, and that he didn't want to be late to his interview.

     He pressed on and entered the building, not being able to shake the handsome stranger's face from his mind.

Written by: greaserbabes