Chapter 14 : Gift

Nandini stood watching the news, munching on her chocolate.

"Heavy rains hit Mumbai. Weather department has predicted heavy to very heavy rains in Mumbai and suburbs."

"Baby, come aaram se. It is raining really hard na!" Nandini spoke to her big baby bump.

"Aisa nahi hota hai na Nandu." Manik laughed.

"Manik, shut up."

"Fuck. BMC has tweeted that there is a high alert. Nandini, now I am scared."

Manik was worried. Nandini was almost ten months pregnant. She was due two weeks ago.

"You know how BMC is. It will stop raining now. They predicted heavy rain na. Har saal ka natak hai." Nandini said.

Manik didn't want to freak her out but the clouds outside were really dark and gloomy.

-----

After a while, Manik made Naitik sleep and came back to the bedroom. As he entered, he saw Nandini holding her stomach.

"What happened Nandini?" Manik rushed to her.

"It is hurting Manik! A lot!" Nandini cried.

"I think you are in labour." Manik was freaking out but decide to maintain a façade of calmness. If he freaked out, Nandini would freak out even more. Still having his presence of mind, he called Mukti to come over ASAP and grabbed their bags. True to her word, Mukti reached in ten minutes, soaking wet.

"Manik, you need to hurry. There's a lot of traffic and it has started flooding." Mukti said frantically.

"Yeah! Just stay here with Naitik. Is Zubin downstairs?"

"Yeah, he is waiting in the car. Alya will meet you in the hospital." Mukti said. She was going to stay with Naitik as they really didn't think he should tag along to the hospital.

Manik nodded and held Nandini who was trying her best to calm herself down. She was practising the breathing technique that she had recently learned to make herself calm down.

As they stepped out of the building, they saw the heavy downpour and Nandini looked at Manik in concern.

"Manik, I am really worried!"

"It's okay, relax. We got this." He said, holding her hand in an iron grip.

------

They had been stuck in traffic for a while now.

"Is there no other way?" Manik asked, as Nandini was sweating like crazy, even though the temperature in the car was 21.

"I am figuring out. The road's a bit bumpy though."

"Take it. I'll take care of her." Manik said, pulling Nandini closer.

Zubin nodded and took a U-Turn as the traffic moved. As Zubin said, the road was indeed bad. But they reached the hospital in 15 minutes.

They rushed inside and a wheelchair was brought by Manik. Nandini calmed down a bit, even though the pain was excruciating and unbearable.

She was rushed into the maternity ward and they found out that Nandini was indeed ready to deliver.

Alya was waiting outside with Zubin while Manik went inside with Nandini.

Manik's phone was ringing and pinging continuously and the nurses shot him angry looks.

"I'll come back in a minute." Manik excused himself and rushed out.

"Take my phone yaar! If anyone important calls just say I will talk to them later." Manik gave the phone to Alya and rushed back inside.