CHAPTER 35 ↠ reconciliation and second-guessing

Bea only returned to the suit the next afternoon, having stayed in another room for the night

Bea only returned to the suit the next afternoon, having stayed in another room for the night. Michael wasn't there when she went in and she had no idea where he was, since he had left no note or anything that hinted where he would have gone at work hours.

Good, Bea thought, maybe he really was arrested. That'll teach him a lesson.

Wondering then what would happen if Michael really was arrested, Bea imagined if he was deported back to England and she remained in New York alone. Maybe slightly frightening at first, she did have acquaintances like Jack and Alexander, and then maybe she'd get an even more important role in the Shelby Company, as she'd be their representative in America.

It wasn't exactly what she wanted, especially since the day before. But staying in the United States would certainly have its perks.

In the hours she was alone she went called to Jack Bradley's hotel, wondering if maybe he was in at that time. The front desk worker connected Bea's call with Jack's room and soon after he answered.

"Do you know if there were any arrests in that clandestine bar Gina was going?" Bea asks after the initial greetings.

"I don't think so, no. Why? Is Michael nowhere to be found?"

"I'm not sure... He isn't in the suite and he should be working here today. He's also not left any note."

"Maybe he's still with Gina... Did he return last night?"

"I don't know, I spent the night in a different room."

"Well, Bea, don't be frightened, I'm sure he's all right. Do you want Gina's contacts so you can call her and ask her if she knows something."

"No, that's fine. I'll just see when he shows up. And if he doesn't by nightfall then I'll worry."

"All right then. Anything else?"

"Want to have dinner somewhere? There are a few restaurants that I have yet to try... I've returned to some a few times too much, to try other dishes since the service was so nice."

"I'd love to have your company for dinner. Shall I pick you up at the hotel?"

"Yes, absolutely."

"I'l be there in a couple of hours then. Do you have any restaurant in mind?"

"Just one that I haven't gone to before. I only know the names of those I went to before, so..."