Chapter 12

MUKTA

I kept looking at the moon trying to find the star which shined brightest...
Baba used to say that is Aai... Everytime I used to ask him after her death he used to show me the brightest star in the sky and say it's her and it made me smile. But today I couldn't find her and Baba...I haven't found him since he left me all alone in this cruel world.

Specially after what I saw in the last two weeks. Kaya and Harry showed me all the dirty colors of this world. I was missing home but then where is my home now was the first thought that hit me post that!

My house was no longer mine!
I didn't have a shelter!
I don't have a job!
I feel so empty!
Omkar helped me. The man whom I doubted to be the cause of my miseries stood by me and asked police to take strict actions against Kaya and Harry. The only satisfaction I had was that now onwards no other girl would fall into such trap!!!
But then I was feeling out of place. My eyes fell on the room I was right now. These are wealthy people and I am a homeless girl. I can't be at their mercy.

Yes Omkar is kind enough to give me shelter, but who is he to do it? Just a namesake husband??? No!!! That wedding was meaningless!

I have to find a place for myself as soon as possible! First I need to find a job second I need to find a shelter. I don't want to be a burden on anyone's shoulder. I don't want Omkar to ever think I tried to utilise him. He is a good man.

Just then I heard his voice...
'Mukta' and I turned around. He stood in the room with a plate full of food and asked me to eat. But somehow my hunger died. I was feeling shy and uncomfortable.

But to my surprise he fed me and I was shocked. The care in his eyes was such that I couldn't deny and I opened my mouth.

'Good...well I don't mind feeding you but I think you can manage yourself.. what say?' he said and I nodded.

I took plate from his hands and slowly started eating while explained me the Konkani dishes. There was sheer silence in the room while I ate and finally he passed me some tablets and a glass of water saying 'Doctor prescribed this for you... you will sleep well eating it' he said but I was hesitant.

He probably saw the fear in my eyes and said...
'Look Mukta...you are in my house. You are my responsibility. There is my family here. The room next to yours has my younger brother Rudra and his wife. I stay on second floor, my parents on the ground floor. If you dial the number 1, 2, 3, 4 you can connect to various intercoms on the floor. There is tight security, my househelp is the same since I was a teenager so you are safe Mukta and don't worry I'm here!!!' he said and my eyes met his. I don't know why they were as comforting as a full moon.

I silently took the tablet while he wished me a goodnight and left.

I could feel dirty hands over my body, I felt a sudden discomfort and I screamed at once and woke up only to feel two strong arms around me and I felt someone pat my shoulder. I didn't open my eyes but I heard sweet mumbling...
'Sleep baby girl...you are good...I got you here...you are good hmmm' and I felt like I was in a warm cocoon and sleep consumed me again.

Next day I woke up as I felt strong rays of sun falling on my face while I recalled someone patting me to sleep last night, I don't know if it was a dream or reality but I slept well. My eyes fell on the wall clock infront of me which ticked 8:00 am. The night had passed and it was a bright morning.

I smiled and turned on my right only to see a face lurking too close to my face and freaked out screaming loudly...
'Ahhhhhhhh' only to realise it was a girl!!!
The girl who escorted me to room last night. Omkar's sister in law. Prarthana.