54

LOU'S POV:

I could feel the cold sweat on my back and my forehead.

"I never... no." I responded.

Mr. Garner seemed to not believe me that I had never had feelings for Diane.

I cleared my throat, "Miss Williams has been a friend to me more than a teacher, but nothing else. She... she knows I've had a rough year, that's all she's been doing; giving me support."

Mr. Garner nodded.

"Mrs. Ayoub says you were dancing with Miss Williams at this wedding you two attended."

"Yeah. We danced, but as friends." I gulped. "Miss Williams was cheering me up."

"Right." Mr. Garner nodded his head and wrote something down on a note pad.

"Is she... are you... Uh, are you getting her fired?" I gulped. My hands were shaking. I was shaking.

Mr. Garner just stared at me silently, as if he didn't know the answer. And I broke down.

"Please, please don't ruin her life! It's all my fault... she did nothing wrong. She was just trying to be a decent human being and helping me out with certain things, she's not a criminal! Please, please. I don't want her going to jail for nothing!" I cried out.

I had tears streaming down my face, and Mr. Garner had his eyes widened and his mouth open, as if he didn't know what to do with my sudden outburst.

"Please, Mr Garner. Miss Williams doesn't deserve anything bad, she's just a friend to me, she's been there for me when I got bullied, she was cheering me up at that wedding... she's done nothing wrong, nothing but being a decent human being!"

I kept crying.

I also had my mind in wild thoughts of what were Ashley and Allie going to tell this man.

I hadn't even seen Ashley for a long time until this morning, and she looked at me just like she used to; with a small smile and pity in her eyes.

Mr. Garner eventually came back to his senses and handed me a box of Kleenex. I sniffed and blowed my nose with the tissues, hoping I maybe won his heart with my tears.

"Please just tell me if you're firing her..." I pleaded. "Please. I can't go home uncertain... I don't want to ruin anyone's life."

Mr. Garner nodded his head yes, "No. She's not getting fired."

"You're not sending her to prison either, are you?"

Mr. Garner cleared his throat, "No. Until now Williams remains not guilty."

I nodded my head in agreement and showed a bit of a smile.

"With all do respect, I think you made a mistake by believing Mrs. Ayoub's assumption. Miss Williams was being supportive." I said, sniffing again.

"I still don't understand what she was cheering you up from, Miss Jensen." Mr. Garner said.

*

DIANE'S POV:

"What I was cheering her up from? Uh, well... it's a personal matter, of course."

"I insist you tell me."

I sighed. I hoped Lou said as we agreed we would.

"She had danced with a boy before I even interfered. I saw him touching her inappropriately, and I know that Laura is not interested in males, I also saw she was uncomfortable, so I interfered and then embraced her. It might have looked like we danced, but I was actually holding her and just asking if she was okay, that's all."