T H I R T Y-F O U R

"Why didn't you tell me?" Athea fumed as she paced back and forth in Draco's dorm. "We are supposed to be working together, this isn't a solo mission."

"What did you expect me to do? You were assaulted and not in the right frame of mind for me to talk to you about my plan!" Draco argued as he sat on the bed with his head in his hands.

"You could have waited for me to help and then you might have not cursed a student instead of the actual target!"

The two slytherins planned a trip to Hogsmeade as the past few days hadn't been the brightest. After Athea's breakdown and the incident with Flint, Draco had brought up the idea of having a few relaxing hours in the town where they could pretend they didn't have a headmaster to murder. He had insisted that they forget about their task and promised her that he would treat her with a peaceful meal at the Three Broomsticks, which she appreciated. Throughout the meal, she could spot Harry Potter across the room watching them both like a Hawk. His curious eyes would constantly find their way back to the couple, especially when Draco returned from the bathroom nervously.

Draco seemed tense the entire time, and Athea had asked multiple times what was bothering him, but he would shrug it off and assure her he was fine, just a little tired. When they were seated, and she opened Draco's bag to pull out her wand that he had put in there he had rapidly snatched it away from her and moved it underneath his chair. He plucked her wand from his bag, handed it to her and continued their conversation as if his actions weren't suspicious. Athea decided to ignore it.

Slughorn had also greeted them and invited Athea to his Christmas party, which she had hesitantly agreed to attend as she didn't want to come across as rude towards the kind man. He didn't invite Draco, though, which amused Athea - but, of course, Draco had to remind her that he was the one who helped her improve her potions marks last year.

When they left the Three Broomsticks, all was well until Katie Bell was cursed and Draco's face turned pale. She pieced everything together after that.

"That was an accident, alright?" He shook his head. "She was supposed to deliver it to Dumbledore, not touch the stupid necklace herself."

"Where did you even get it?" Athea asked, eyeing him suspiciously. "When did you get it?"

Draco kept his gaze locked on the floor. "From Borgin and Burkes at the start of the school year."

Her jaw dropped as she stared at him. "You've had it for months and didn't bother to tell me?" She snapped. "How long have you been planning this? We are working together, Draco, not against one another-"

"Don't you think I know that!" He burst out. "I'm constantly reminded that you're in danger and I can't do anything about it!"

"That is just something you're going to have to deal with, Draco!" She threw her hands in distress. "You're not the only one who is worried. How do you think it makes me feel when you pull stunts like this? That you could mess up and curse the wrong person again and get caught!"

"I'm not going to mess up again." He seethed and shot up, walking closer to her as she slowly walked backwards. "But that doesn't mean I'm going to let you be the one to complete the task. If you kill Dumbledore and get caught, you'll be sent to Azkaban for the rest of your life - I'm not letting that happen."

She gulped as her back hit the wall and their bodies became closer. "I don't care what happens to me." His arms caged her in as his palms rested next to her head. "But you. I'll never forgive myself if you have to suffer because of me."

"Draco, you can't-"

"I'm not letting you kill him." He leaned forward until their foreheads touched and looked deeply into her eyes. "I don't care what you say. I'm not letting you go. I'll never let you go." He intertwined their hands.