三十七 | You can be rough with me

三十七
lessening the burden

After being convinced by the four Akatsuki members, Kuina finally brought up her guts to ask Itachi

That evening, Itachi was making himself tea in the kitchen. Since it had always been hard for Kuina to get a hold of him these days, she knew that was the only chance. Taking a deep breath, she mustered up all her courage and approached him.

"Here, I'll help you," she offered him weakly as she gestured at the spoon. He looked at her dubiously but didn't stop her when she grabbed the spoon from his hand.

His brows raised, suspicion written all over his face. He watched her stir the tea for him for a short while before his eyes narrowed slightly. "What do you want?" he questioned.

She swallowed as she avoided his gaze. "Can I ask you a favour?"

Itachi nodded slowly. "Go on."

At his permission, she inhaled deeply as she rallied up all her courage to ask him. "Well, I want to learn how to fend for myself, but I need some guidance. So, I wanted to ask if you could help me. . ."

Itachi didn't seem surprised by her request as he gave her a dismissive nod. "I see. So, it seems everyone else has refused you; you have no choice but to come running to your last resort."

She tensed up, uncertain how he knew of that fact. She gulped as she placed the spoon down and turned to him, pouting her mouth into a frown. She shook her head. "You're not a last resort. I just didn't want to bother you, that's why I didn't ask you at first."

"Is that so?" he muttered as he looked at her with his dark and unyielding eyes.

She nodded rapidly. "Everyone told me you'd be the best at helping me, so now, I want to take my chances." She held in her breath as she dared herself to scoot closer to him. Hesitantly, she reached for him and grabbed a small potion of his long Akatsuki sleeve, tugging on it. "Can you help me?"

He eyed her hand on his sleeve but gave no attempt to push her away. "Do you even know what you are getting yourself into?" he muttered.

She tilted her head to the side, confused. "What do you mean?"

He let out a soft sigh. "Do you truly believe I am a good choice to teach you?" He reworded his sentence.

Kuina went rigid at his question, her brows drawing together. He was right. He truly wasn't the best choice. In fact, he was the last choice she considered from this whole hideout. Kuina lowered her gaze and shook her head sullenly. "You're always strict on me."

He nodded. "That is right, I am not someone who holds enough empathy for the weak," he condemned as he glanced up at her. "What's more, training is arduous and crude. But look at yourself, so puny and soft. I don't doubt I will make you cry."

At his words, she snapped her gaze up at him. "I won't cry."

"Even if I treat you roughly? Because if I were to teach you, I will not go easy on you."

She nodded firmly as she clenched his sleeve tighter in her palm. "It's okay. You can be rough with me. I won't cry, I promise."

His brows arched up, but then she caught a terribly dangerous amusement lingering in his eyes. "I advise you not to promise me that."

She looked at him, uncertain of what he meant. Either way, she felt unease, so she pulled her hands away from him and took a retreating step away. "D-Doesn't matter. I can endure it all as long as you are patient."

At her words, he gave her a small nod. "I have always been patient," he remarked. "With you," he added.

"With me?"

"Other courses in this world do not need my patience," he said as he looked down at her with his towering form before he beckoned her closer to him.

She puffed out her cheeks as she complied and inched closer to him. Once she was within his reach, she felt a hard tap on her forehead as he hit her with his forefingers. She stiffened as she probed her head up at him, her forehead - and maybe, also her cheeks - began to grow red from the force of his sudden antic.

Itachi held amusement in his dark eyes as he looked at her flustered expression. "Alright then, since you seem so determined, it would be rather narrow-minded of me to turn you down," he said as he reached for her, and with his thumb, he lightly caressed the redness he made on her forehead. "Besides, you see, I will be away from the hideout next week as Leader-sama has assigned Kisame and I to capture the four-tails. I won't be here to supervise you, and even though the rest of the Akatsuki will be with you, I do not trust their judgement. So, I will teach you to protect yourself while I am not around."

Kuina looked at him, her brows furrowing, uncertain whether she should be delighted that he agreed to help her or sullen at the news that he would be away. She wrapped her palm around his thumb, pulling it away from her forehead as she was beginning to feel awkward. She cast her gaze away from him. "You will be away?"

He nodded. "Mm."

Kuina probed her head up at him, a frown etching across her face. "Can I go too?"

He glanced at her, his brows raised slightly as if he were taken aback by her sudden request. "What? You can't bear parting with me for just a few days?"

She snapped her gaze up at his absurd misinterpretation and rapidly shook her. "That's not it."

"Then what is it?"

Kuina inhaled deeply as she dared herself to look up at him. "Well, you see, all my life, I was sheltered in the hibiscus field, and I've never seen the outside world. You were the one who told me that day, since I lived through the annihilation, it's my chance to see what's out there," she murmured as her eyes welled up with pleas. "I wanna see what's out there, and this might be my only opportunity. Please let me go with you."

Itachi let out a heavy sigh. "My mission is dangerous, you will only burden me."

Her brows drew together as she glowered at him. "That's why you'll teach me to be strong and I won't burden you anymore."

He shook his head as he gave her his apathetic eyes. "It's too dangerous."

"B-But, I wanna–"

"Have I been too lenient that you are starting to become so wayward?" He cut her off as he gave her a cold glance, and when she gave no answer, he stepped closer to her. "Answer me."

She swallowed down all of her protests as she averted her gaze away from him. "No," she grumbled.

"Then be good and do as I say." he stated, his words as ever cold. He grabbed his cup of tea, holding it in his palms as he looked at her. "Either way, I do not mind agreeing to teach you. So, get over your predicament and we can start."

*

𝐹𝑅𝐴𝐺𝑅𝐴𝑁𝐶𝐸
うちはイタチ