56. Never Ending Damnation

Waiting for the final confirmations on the private jet took a while, waiting for the rest of my family was even longer. I had been sent to seat myself on the jet whilst Vince ran some errands, apparently he needed accompanying. 

It doesn't make sense, a supposedly dead man, who was never allowed in Britain whilst he was publicly alive, running business in Central London. One of the busiest areas known. 

Excuses, excuses. Nothing ever seems to come with a price for them. Some may say they are far from living in the common risk society, the recently introduced term meaning society carefully assessing the consequences and rewards of their actions. Something my family is yet to become familiar with.

The bodyguard, of whom I am yet to learn the name of, sits at the back of the plane. Buckled into a singular seat, ordering a drink from the hostess. It's a shame I couldn't be left alone, not even on a prestige family owned airplane.

If someone were to hijack it, they would need to pass by many security guards, run a couple hundred metres across the openly patrolled tarmac, then get past the well trained pilot. 

If an explosive was thrown, the most he could do is either throw me under himself, resulting in the both of us dying, or throw me outside the door, only landing me a couple of feet away from the explosion. The need for a bodyguard here is unwanted and not necessary.

'Sorry, what was your name?' I turned away from my business spreadsheets and revision to look at the relatively young man in a suit, his hand now clasped around an half empty circular glass.

'I assume Mr Rossi hasn't mentioned me as of yet.' He spoke formally, and his posture was perfect, the same way my elder relatives sit.

'He hasn't.' I confirmed. 

He nodded to himself, then took a sip of the clear liquid. 'I feel as though it is my duty to introduce myself. I am Claude, your permanent bodyguard. I have been assigned to watch over you as you continue living your normal life, and to prevent anything or anyone who may cause trouble, that includes you, Miss Rossi.' 

'I don't need a bodyguard.' I responded dryly.

'It is my duty to fulfil Mr Rossi's requests, I'm afraid I have no say in my position right now.' He didn't seem upset or pissed off at his role, in fact he looked pleased to be travelling in abnormal luxuries, working with people who hold such decency.  

'I was quite rude then so I apologize, I understand that it is not your fault, but I really do not need one.' My chin now rested on the back of the leather chair.

'That is something you should take up with Mr Rossi, I do not have much say in your decisions and actions unless they hold a risk of danger. I have been strictly cautioned not to involve myself in your personal affairs.' His words held no lenience, this man looked as though he couldn't be older than twenty, but his words sounded overly developed, as did his tone.

'Do you know the reason?' 

'I only know what I am told, some information is confidential.' He cleared his throat, took another swig of his drink and nodded his head to the table in front of me. 'Homework?'

His sudden change of subject didn't shock me, but it was very well executed. So I allowed him to get away with it. 'Studying for my MBA exam at the end of this academic year.' I said casually, knowing very well that my answer would be unexpected. 

That's when I heard a confused grunt. 'You're only fourteen.' 

'Fifteen next week.' 

'Getting into a MBA programme as a young teenager, that is very impressive, Miss Rossi.' He didn't allow my attainment to go unrecognized.