Chapter 11

Aiden's P.O.V.

How can I even be considering this?
Cause if I don't, we'll both die.

I looked down at Alison. She was still sleeping. Her bright blonde hair was sprawled around her face. She was a few feet away from the camel, the smell of which made Alison's nose scrunch every now and then while she slept.

I looked away from her pale face and down at the water canisters in my hands. There's only enough water to last her an hour once she's awake. That's with me and the camel not drinking anything.

I have to take her there.

If Alison isn't what she seems though, the most important people in my life will suffer... or I'll have to kill her. If I don't take her though we both die from dehydration.

"Good morning," Alison yawned out.

I looked up at her and I swear I forgot how to breathe. She had this meek smile that showed off her uniquely straight and white teeth. Her bright blue eyes had an innocent glint and her blonde hair was a mess. She was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

"G... Good morning," I replied.

Her smile turned into a frown and she asked, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing big. Just... we're almost out of water," I admitted with a grimace.

Panic overwhelmed her and she shouted, "What?"

"It's not a big deal," I lied. It's a huge deal.

"Not a big deal! Not a big deal!" She yelled, "We're gonna die!"

I let a sigh and said, "We're not going to die. We just have to make an unexpected stop."

"You know an oasis nearby? A safe one?" She questioned.

"Do you swear I can trust you?" I responded with a question of my own.

"Of course you can," she answered immediately.

----------------------------------

Alison groaned and complained, "Are you going to tell me where we're going? It's been hours."

I rolled my eyes and replied, "It's been less than one, and no I'm not going to tell you."

"Why not!" She whined.

"This place is very important to me. I'm not entirely sure if I actually want you to be there," I confessed.

She stayed silent. Her blue eyes were wide with shock. Her petite form swayed as the camel she rode tread forward. Eventually, I couldn't stand to look at her so I looked straight ahead.

"Why not just leave me behind then? Leave me here go get water then come back," she suggested.

"Not a chance. It's dangerous out here," I immediately shot down.

She jumped off the camel and I hustled to catch her. I managed to catch the majority of her weight in my arms before she landed on the ground. What was she thinking? "What in Ra! Why did you do that? Jumping off a moving camel is dangerous!" I reprimanded her.

"Exactly! Danger is everywhere. I could get hurt doing anything. If this place is so special to you then just leave me for an hour or so and go," she reasoned.

I gestured to the camel and said, "You jumped off a camel! If anything that tells me you can't be left alone!"

She scoffed and replied, "Whatever."

"It doesn't matter anyway. We're already there," I said as I realized where we were.

She looked around in confusion and I put my hand on her back so I could lead her forward. I waved my hand in front of me, admittedly unnecessarily, and created a tunnel that connect our dome to another. Her jaw dropped as the much larger dome was revealed.

We walked through the tunnel as she marveled at the swirling colors above her head. I took in a deep breath then closed the tunnel behind us. Alison jumped as she realized she was now trapped in an unknown environment. She looked up at me in slight fear and I just gave her a comforting smile

"Where are we?" She asked me with tremors in her voice.

I opened my mouth to answer but another voice yelled out, "Aiden! You're home!"

I looked away from Alison towards the owner and a grin broke out across my face. A young teenage girl was sprinting towards me. Her long black hair whipped around her as she ran. Her dark eyes were full of joy. Her bare feet propelled her until she was able to fling herself into my arms. I lifted her up and twirled her petite body around in a circle like I always did. "Evie!" I exclaimed happily.

I set her down on her feet and she quickly questioned, "Why are you here? We weren't expecting you for another three weeks."

"I ran out of water while I was on a journey. I need to replenish my supply," I told her.

Her smile faltered and she asked, "So you're not staying?"

I shook my head and replied, "I'm afraid I'm only here for a bit."

"At least don't leave till morning. Mother will be beside herself if you don't," Evie pleaded.

It might be good for Alison if we stay the night. It's safer here. Plus she hasn't gotten a decent meal in a couple of days. "It's up to Alison," I told the girl.

Her eyebrow raised and she questioned, "Alison?"

"That would be me," Alison spoke up.

Evie turned away from me and took in my travel companion for the first time. She gasped from shock as she examined Alison's bright blue eyes and strikingly light blonde hair. "Are you a goddess?" She inquired.

"We're not sure. We're on our way to Thoth's to find out," I answered.

"That's incredible!" Evie gushed.

Alison bit her lower lip and mumbled, "I guess."

"So will you two stay the night, Alison?" Evie asked with hope.

"I don't see the harm in it," Alison agreed with discomfort.

Evie jumped up with excitement and told me, "I'll go tell Mother. She'll be so happy to have you home!"

She then ran away all the while yelling for our Mother. I smiled at her excitement and felt that special kind of joy I only get when I was here.

"Who was she?" Alison inquired as she watch Evie run away as well.

"My little sister, Evie," I answered.

"What?" She responded in surprise.

I shrugged and said, "Well half-sister but... yeah."

"So when she said Mother," she started.

"She meant our Mother," I answered her unfinished question.

Her blue eyes focused on me and she said, "But you said your mother was dead."

"No, I said she wasn't in the picture," I corrected.

Alison opened her mouth to argue but another woman's voice yelled out catching our attention. I looked away from Alison and saw Mother running towards me. The exact image of Evie, just older, pushed herself up to the top of the hill that we were on.

"Aiden! Aiden!" Mother yelled until she was in front of me. She then placed her hands on either side of my face and smiled, "My baby. You're here. You're home."