Chapter 34

Of course, soon the mermaid was noticed and caught for trespassing. I needed a lot of time since the process of trying to release the mermaid from the custody of the Royal guards and giving her the status of a refugee was a lengthy one.

If the girl came far from the state that is currently filled with chaos, the least I can do is to listen to her.

Once the girl was given the status of refugee I invited her for tea so she can tell me more about the situation in the Mermaid state.

"Now, Mira, why did you decide to come here?" The identification documents showed that her name is Mira and she is at least sixteen years old.

"In hopes that you can stop the war?" In the last part of the sentence, Mira hesitantly spoke while I wanted to shake my head.

She is brave but she is still naive about how politics work.

"Unfortunately, it's not how things work." I sighed. I've only recently entered the royal family. I don't have that kind of influence nor power to stop the war with one word especially since I'm not the Empress.

I usually don't take interest in actions that my in-laws make and rarely comment, this might be one of the werewolves' nature of always siding with the pack.

"The thing is I'm the daughter of the President of the Mermaid state, my father never wanted the war but someone framed my father."

"So someone working behind the scenes to fuel the riot?" I asked the girl and she nodded and then I sighed.

It's becoming more complicated than I expected. I have little knowledge about the history but I knew the economic structure of the Mermaid state. I can't give a good judgment on the matter.

After all, I was given the responsibility to attend social events and increase the popularity of the royal family.

"If you are telling the truth, the only thing I can do is to ask my husband to investigate the matter. If he is willing to investigate or not it's not up to me." I told Mira. I could only promise her that much.

"Alright, I understand. Thank you for at least releasing me from the prison and giving me refugee status, your highness." The girl dismissed herself.

I can only sigh because I wasn't sure how the whole situation would end up. I just needed to make a note to write a letter to Kai and ask to investigate it.

I drank my tea for a little bit and then I left the room. I had also promised to drink tea with the Empress so I decided to rest for a little bit in my room before I went to the drawing-room where Empress Vivianne was waiting for me.

The previous meeting did tire me out morally and I know that Empress Vivianne will also ask about the situation.

Though I wished that I could stay in my room for a bit more time, I didn't want to be late.

I made sure to look at the mirror to check if I needed to fix something before heading out to the drawing-room.

Once I entered the room the Empress was already sitting and waiting for me.

"I hope I didn't make you wait." I almost wanted to use honorifics but then I remembered she asked me not to use it so I bit down the urge.

"No you didn't make me wait, please sit down, Evelyn" Empress Vivianne politely spoke. I sat down on the opposite side of her.

"Last few weeks have been difficult for you, Evelyn?" Empress Vivianne decided to start with those words but I knew where the topic was headed.

"Indeed, it was." I kept my answer short. It was not a simple task to release a mermaid who trespassed in the Royal Palace.