Mako (Modern AU)

[A/N]: Each story title will simply be the name of the character for now. They are all reader x character. This one is about you and Mako. You live together in the middle of a big city. He recently became a detective, and the two of you haven't seen each other alone in a while. What will happen? Pls Read mah fic to find out. xD

One update: This one was written a whiiillleee ago, so it will not be as good as the others. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up. Thanks again for reading my lame stuff. ٩(◕‿◕。)۶

________________________________

You sat in your dimly lit living room, the dying amber light from the setting sun annoyingly reflecting off the tv screen you had been watching for the last five hours. Your boyfriend was recently instated as one of your city's newest detectives, and while you were proud of him, he was gone a lot. You were still in university, and it was summer. You'd spent the last summer in Malaysia studying religion and anthropology. While you needed a job, what you needed more was a well deserved break. You flipped a piece of semi-burnt popcorn up, as it arced toward your mouth, it fell to the floor.

"Dammit." You hissed as you called for your dog to come clean up the popcorn by eating it. Long live living trash cans. You patted her on the head before her ears perked up as they picked up the sound you heard a few seconds later than her: a car pulling up into the driveway.

"Mako!" You eagerly clambered off the sofa as you and your dog both peered out the window to see your boyfriend walking up the lane. His black hair stuck up in asymmetrical spikes. His police uniform made him look handsome and strong, a real change from the street rat you fell for. The glint of the sun sparkled off his badge, and as he neared the door, you opened it before he could grab the handle.

"Hi!" You squeaked.

He smiled. "You're eager to see me. How've you been spending your time?"

"Watching Cops."

"How appropriate." Mako smirked. Then his smile fell. He plodded over to plop onto the sofa.

Your expression soured. You walked over and sat next to Mako. You reached out to tousle his hair, but he flicked your hand away.

"What's wrong?" You asked, a bit hurt. You wanted to be all romantic with him tonight. It'd been forever since the two of you were alone together.

"Chief Beifong is driving me crazy. It's my first day and she's got me investigating this neighborhood over in Chinatown. I feel like she's got bad blood over there and she's using me to take care of her problems."

"Well, you're new. The new guy usually has to deal with that."

He grunted. Folding his arms across his chest and sticking his chin out as to make himself look even more like a little kid pouting. You giggled.

"I know what'll cheer you up." You sauntered over and picked up your iPhone and slid your fingers across the screen until you found the song you wanted to play. You then began dancing around in front of Mako singing (terribly by the way)

Huh!
Bad boys!
What'cha want? What'cha want?
What'cha gonna do
When Sheriff John Brown come for you?

Tell me, what'cha ya wanna do, what'cha gonna do?
Yeah!

Bad boys, bad boys
What'cha gonna do?
What'cha gonna do when they come for you?
Bad boys, bad boys
What'cha gonna do?
What'cha gonna do when they come for you?

When you were eight and had bad traits
You go to school and learn the golden rule
So why are you acting like a bloody fool?
If you get hot then you must get cool!

Bad boys, bad boys
What'cha gonna do?
What'cha gonna do when they come for you?
Bad boys, bad boys
What'cha gonna do?
What'cha gonna do when they come for you?

You chuck it on that one, ya chuck it on this one
You chuck it on ya mother and ya chuck it on ya father
You chuck it on ya brother and ya chuck it on ya sister
And you chuck it on that one and ya chuck it on me!

Mako, fighting a laugh the whole time finally smiled with a laugh and stood up to stop you from hurting yourself. He then switched off your iPod and sat down on the couch. He then began to pout again.

You sauntered over, not to be ignored, and leaned over him. "You know you like that song mako. I know you like that song. If you're not going to perk up I'm going to keep sin-"

Mako got up and snaked his arm around you. "Please don't. I've got a better idea."

You waggled your eyebrows up and down. "Ahhhhh."

You were interrupted by your phone buzzing several times. You groaned as you trekked over to it and saw about ten iMessages from your friends, Korra and Asami (also two of mako's ex girlfriends, who were now dating each other- which you made fun of mako for all the time).

"Who is it?"

"Korra and Asami. It's a group message. You should've gotten it too."

"Bolin has my phone. He lost his."

"Ah."

"What's it say?"

You looked down at your phone and read the messages. "It says, we're in town.- Asami. Back from our vacation in the West Indies- Korra. We'd love to see you and we have good news- Asami. look outside- Korra"

"What?" Mako jumped up and ran to the window. Somehow, a car containing the shadowed figures of about six people was in the driveway.

"Kiki didn't hear the car?" You asked.

Mako replied through the curtains. "She's old."

"Well I guess we'll have to save our romancing for another night." You groaned as you slid off the couch and opened the door as you and mako were greeted by a very happy group of friends. Korra, Asami, Bolin and his girlfriend Opal, Japanese Navy General Iroh II and his girlfriend Bao, a Chinese woman he had met onboard his ship, entered your apartment and the rest of your evening was filled with catching up and the delightful news that Bolin and opal, Korra and Asami and Iroh and Bao were all getting married soon. You eyed mako several times during the conversation and you thought he smiled at you.

After everyone had left and you had said your goodbyes, you and mako spent the evening snuggled up on the couch with your aging dog Kiki watching crappy crime shows, and as you fell asleep in his arms, you could've sworn you heard him whisper to you as you drifted closer to slumber,

"You're the only person who being around is effortless. The only one who can make me laugh till I can't breathe. I never want that to stop. You're gonna have a blast tomorrow. I've got something great planned. Goodnight, babe. I love you, [Y/N]."