Heartglass 6: The Queen's Summon

AZALEA

While resting from drawing ballgown designs, I went down to check on the shop and scan the displayed gowns and dresses in the racks and mannequins. There were nobles visiting and buying dresses and clothes for their daily activities. It was always hectic in the shop and I was just glad the dresses could find its owner and home.

My brows furrowed as a royal carriage stopped in front of my shop. A dignified old man entered our shop and asked for me in particular. I approached him and he slightly bowed at me with respect.

"Greetings, Lady Azalea. I'm the queen's butler, Oliver Draken. I'm here because of the Queen's orders," he said.

When I heard his introduction, I secretly became anxious. "Shall we talk in my office, Sir Oliver?" My voice was calm as I stared at him intently. It was rare for the queen to send her most trusted person.

Sir Oliver shook his head. "No need. The queen summoned you to the palace. I'm sorry if we didn't set a schedule ahead of time, my lady," he respectfully answered. His gaze was kind and formal and I could tell that he really just went here to inform me of the queen's order. He didn't expect me to refuse at all.

I bit my bottom lip. I was only wearing a light dress today which was inappropriate in the palace but it was a blessing in disguise that I was running my own dress shop. "Then please let me change for a while."

"Certainly, my lady. Thank you. I will be waiting in the carriage," Sir Oliver answered and nodded.

When he left, I breathed in and out before searching for a decent dress to face the queen. I chose a peach dress embroidered with red full-bloom roses. I secretly wished that the queen would retract the Royal Decree, claiming that it was just a mistake on her son's side. That he was just playing a prank on me. I just wanted to be free from this nightmare.

When we arrived in the palace, the ladies-in-waiting guided us to the Queen's drawing room. The drawing room was exquisite. Huge cream-white velvet curtains decorated the gigantic glass windows. The comfortable couches were cream-white with gold colors on the edges. There was a cream table in the middle and the queen was leisurely drinking tea with her overflowing purple dress.

I was quite nervous but I maintained my well-trained posture as I curtsied beautifully in front of her.

"Greetings, Your Majesty, Queen Adriana," I greeted.

Her gaze turned to my direction–totally void of emotion. "Greetings, Lady Azalea. Please have a seat and drink tea with me." The Queen's presence was really intimidating. I felt like my heartglass would crumble to pieces just by her cold but majestic presence.

I nodded and quietly took my seat across her.

A lady-in-waiting poured tea in my silver teacup with cute flowery designs. After serving me, they retreated silently into a corner. I silently drank the tea the queen offered and acted as calm as possible. It was a miracle that I even managed to swallow my drink despite my anxious state.

When I put down the teacup on the silver saucer, she asked me, "So how's the tea, Lady Azalea? Is it to your liking?"

I met her gaze and didn't back down from her stern stare. I nodded. "It's refreshing. Thank you, Your Majesty."

Her lips suddenly pressed into a thin line. "I will be direct. I know you are busy and I don't want to waste your time. My son recommended you to be a Crown Princess candidate. It was unlikely for a Crown Prince to interfere with the selection. Do you have this special relationship with him?" she asked with narrow intimidating blue eyes. She scanned my face, my posture and my every move.