66

Dream still wasn't back yet. It was long dark by now, the dishes from dinner on the sink, his plate left untouched in the fridge, wrapped in foil and depressingly intact. Eret is sitting at the bench, Punz is off doing something and Sapnap is asleep. I'm curled up on the couch, watching the front door like a caged up tiger waiting for my release. 

"Where'd he go?" I ask. 

Eret shrugs half-heartedly. "He talked about having some maintenance in one of the fishing villages, but I'm not sure."

There's a pause, and I just keep staring at that fucking door. 

"If I ran out the door right now, would you actually chase me down?"

Eret sets down the book he was reading, and I can feel the disapproval radiating from behind his glasses. "Why are you asking me that?"

"Would you though?"

"Do I need to get Punz?"

"Eret, if I ran, would you stop me?"

"Stop Ro."

"Answer the question." We're both staring at each other now, thinly veiled animosity and silent pleading. "Would you? Would you drag me back here even though all I want is to go back home, would you keep me being held hostage here? Would you chose Dream over what I want? Would you Eret?"

"I'm getting Punz."

"You're ridiculous." I shake my head, laughing to myself. "You're the actual traitor, and I'm the one that gets punished for it. You kept saying sorry Eret, and I believed you, except you betray me at every chance you get, all for Dream."

"Ro-"

"No, tell me Eret, I'd love to know why I deserve to be locked up here like Dream's fucking prized possession, like I'm not an actual person with fucking feelings."

"Where is this coming from?"

"Where is it coming from?!" My eyes widen almost comically, and I stare at him in disbelief. "Oh I don't know Eret, maybe I'm at the end of my fucking rope."

"Does this have something to do with you and Punz?"

"No Eret, it has something to do with me being a human being who wants her own personal agency."

"If it does, I'm going to have to tell Dream."

"Fuck you." I scowl. 

"What is it then?"

I stand up abruptly. "You're so pathetic. You choose him, and his need to own me, like I'm some fucking prize that he can win, like I'm his fucking toy that he can't share, over how I feel Eret. Every single time, it's always him, Dream over me. Stop pretending like you care about me. You don't."

"I do." Eret says quietly. 

"Then show it Eret, because I'm getting sick of this nice little act you put on, this game we play where we pretend like you haven't done the things you've done, and that we're all okay."

"The things I've done?" He repeats. "You don't need to bring that up, that's unnecessary."

"This isn't about L'manburg Eret!" I say frustratedly, and I want to punch him in the face. "This is about the fact that you're helping Dream hold me hostage, you lied to my face about my family being alive because he told you too, you're siding with him at every turn even though he's not in the fucking right and you know it."

"I don't-"

"Listen to me Eret! Can you just fucking listen?" I'm practically pleading, yelling over the top of what he tries to say. "I don't want this. I want to go home. I want my family."