55

I pulled a large tee over my head and sighed when it was finally settled on my body, letting out a low sound of victory. That had taken a lot of time to do. My body was sore and moving a single muscle hurt. I made my way downstairs, my bare feet silent on the cold floors. I went down the stairs and to the kitchen to see Vittore on his phone and he looked freshly showered.

How long did I take?

I sat down across from him and he placed his phone down.

"How are you feeling?" he asked simply but my heart fluttered and the hint of care I heard in his tone.

"Like a punching bag," I answered and a plate with a sandwich was slid in front of me. I looked up at Vittore who had settled down with his own plate.

"Finish that and I'll give you something to help with the pain," Viitore said and I nodded, not really knowing how to answer anymore.

He choked me. Well, I had choked him too...

He made me a sandwich and now, he's going to give me something that'll help with the pain I was in.

It was like I was in a whole other dimension and I didn't want to leave. I slowly ate the sandwich which was pretty good to be honest. I tasted chicken and wonder what he'd put in it exactly. When I was done, I pushed the plate away from me and Vittore took it with his own to the sink.

I sighed, closing my eyes and rolling my neck. I rubbed the back of it to remove that knot that had appeared when Vittore got me in that ninja chokehold. Next time I faced him, I was seriously going to go for the banana split choke. See if he could walk after that.

I felt Vittore walk behind me and I opened my eyes when he set a glass of water and some pills on the counter for me.

"Take them," he coaxed and I did without a second thought. If it was going to help with the pain, who was I to judge.

While the glass was on my lips and I was chugging down the cool water with the two pills I'd been given, Vittore's hands rested on my shoulders and he started massaging. I almost choked on the water going down my throat at the sudden action but quickly swallowed it down and sighed in content as Vittore's thumbs pressed into the top of my spine, right under my neck where the knot rested.

I placed the glass on the table, the grip of my hand going weak the more Vittore pressed into my shoulder blades.

"What are you doing?" I asked Vittore, my voice breathy.

"Helping or would you rather suffer with the knot in your back?"

I didn't even want to ask how he knew I had a knot. I just let him knead my shoulders, biting my lip to suppress any sounds I was sure to make. I let my head fall back on Vittore's chest, allowing my body to enjoy the minimal pleasure that coursed through every vein. I should seriously go to a spa one of these days, spoil myself and everything.

I was so far lost in my head, I slightly jumped when Vittore's lips latched onto my neck, my eyes snapping open. I straightened in my seat as one of Vittore's hands slid off my shoulder, the other going around the side of my neck to turn my head to the side.

His lips met my skin again and he was sucking and nibbling, actions that made my eyes flutter closed and my hand to move up into his hair, pulling him closer. My free hand held onto the edge of the counter in front of me as I pressed my legs together. My breaths were harsh as they left my body, my chest heaving and-

"Hellooooo!"

Vittore and I quickly parted and I moved my hair to cover my shoulder quickly as he stepped back, the both of us acting casual as Faye walked into the kitchen, brown bags filled to the brim  in her hand.

"Dalia. Vittore. How are my two favourite people in the world?" she asked, setting the bags down on the counter.

"Hey Faye."

"Ciao mamma," Vittore and I greeted at the same time.

"Hello hello," Faye said, leaving her items to give me a hug and a pat to my cheek and hugging her son, patting his head.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, keeping the slight irritation from my tone. She was the second person to interrupt us, the first being that bloody idiot who wanted a team meeting.

"Oh nothing nothing. I just came to make dinner, like everyday and if I'm correct, the mafia convention is coming up," Faye said, pulling out the groceries she had bought and stocking our fridge.

"Sì. I received the invitation earlier today," Vittore said and I turned to him with a frown.

"You did? Why didn't you tell me?" I asked.

"I was going to."

"Was that before or after you put me in a freaking ninja choke?" I asked with a glare.

Vittore rolled his eyes. "You benefited from the aftermath didn't you?" he asked and had the nerve to smirk and wink at me.

I hated the fact that the action made my heart flutter so I looked away.

"When is the convention?" Faye asked her son, not noticing the exchange.

"Friday. It's on a yacht."

"A yacht? That's new," Faye grumbled, putting some meat in the freezer. "When I used to go it was always at this mansion and most people would get hurt by the end of the day. This one time when Vittore was eight, the convention was in a warehouse."

Faye scoffed and waved her hands angrily in the air as she talked, grumbling on and on about how we were lucky.

"But... Friday is in two days," I pointed out.

"Oh yes!" Faye said happily. "We can go dress shopping early morning then hit the spa and salon on the way."

I liked the sound of the word spa.

"Actually..." I mumbled, hearing 'dress shopping'.

"I'm getting the dress," Vittore announced and Faye's shoulders dropped.

"Oh. Why?" she asked confused.

"He won a bet," I forced out, completely disappointed in myself.

"Well that's ok. Vittore does have an eye for these things so it shouldn't be that bad. That gives us more spa time. We could still find some perfume and make-up for you."

Faye sounded so excited at the concept of this whole dress up thing and I guess I was too. It would be something fun I guess if we weren't trying to track down the Raven's Don.

"Actually mamma, I would prefer it if you weren't here for a while," Vittore suddenly said and the room went quiet. Faye frowned.

"What do you mean?"

"Things might get messy and I don't want you to get caught in the crossfire. You can stay till Friday, after your... girl's activity but before we leave, I'm sending you with a transport to one of our hidden safe houses for a while," Vittore explained.

Faye sighed, the light in her dark eyes dimming as her shoulders sagged and I actually felt bad for her. Vittore got up and rounded the counter to hold his mother in his arms.

"I wish I could say I was sorry but I'm not. I promised I would protect you and if sending you away will help then that's exactly what I'm going to do."

Faye pulled away from her son and glared. "You can't just lock me up and..."

I slowly slid off my stool, feeling like I was intruding. I made my way out of the kitchen as quickly as I could to my bedroom where I slowly closed the door and locked it behind me. I sighed and rested down on my bed, listening to Vittore and Faye arguing downstairs.

After a while, I heard Faye leave, the ding of the elevator echoing in the house. Vittore passed by my room and went into his, closing the door with a loud bang that made me flinch.

I just hoped that their relationship was ok.