Chapter 5 - First Sight

*Same night continues from previous chapter*

*Shailene's POV*

What was this? Who would do something like this? That was the first thing that bugged my mind. The next thing was that this could probably be from some animal attack, but some instinct told me that it was much...much more personal than that, by the way he acted. What if it was one of those 'self abusing rituals, I liked to call them....or, what if this was a prank?

I barely passed my thumb twice over, to ensure that it was not make up of some sort. Unfortunately, when I realized that it was real, and it hit me, I wasn't sure how I felt. It hurt me to know that this was probably bothering him all the time, but he was too ashamed to tell me. This was going to take a while to absorb.

'Andrew..' I barely whispered, as I smoothed the nearest blemish to my reach, just barely, afraid that it would hurt him...even though it was probably years old. I'm sure it bothers him a lot when he thinks about people seeing it, because they might judge him (...and his background). This was probably why he brought this up after I asked to go to the beach. In fact, it could also be the reason why he denied the invitation to Veronica's pool party...unless he had a water phobia.

Which finally brings me to this; What did this to him? Not 'who' but w h a t .

What was his background?

These ugly bruises clearly healed up from a long time ago, but how long? How long ago did this happen?

I dare not ask because it probably already took so much from him and it hard enough to reveal a potentially deep 'secret' to me. Was this the only thing about him that I didn't know of? Was there more?

Obviously there was more...a lot more, I mean, there must be some great history behind this...unless I'm overthinking it when it was probably a dog. I understood that he would've preferred to forever keep it to himself, but at the same time, from the books I've read, people with secrets are dangerous,

I mentally kicked myself. I was judging by own boyfriend because of some twisted fan fictions I've read, which is what he was afraid I would have done in the first place, judge him.

I was taken away from my thoughts when my back came in contact with the tall wooden design, at the head of the bed's frame. I felt his shallow breathing on my neck. Then, he finally spoke.

'Please don't leave me.' His voice strained.

How could I?

'I would never leave you Andrew...' I believed that he could hear the worry in my voice. I was secretly hoping he didn't feel as if my feelings changed towards him. I was just taken aback by his secrecy.

WHY WAS I OVERTHINKNG THIS?

It was probably nothing...but then again, for the tenth time it reeled in my mind, what if it was something extreme?

As if he read my mind, he spoke up, his head still burried in my neck. 'We can always talk about it,' he said, his tone changing from scared to normal. He raised his head slightly to look me in the eyes. 'Weren't we going to the beach?' He smiled slightly, my heart warmed a bit to see him happy in such a 'battered' physical state; from being depressed a few moment ago, and hit from Veronica's smooth 'avenge the boyfriend' plan.' I just looked at him, emotions mixed.

'Are you sure? Baby, no. We don't have to. I'm sorry, all those times I asked you to go to the pool and got angry because you didn't want to..I'm sorry.'

I was feeling so horrible. I put my hand on his cheek, but he pulled away to throw his vest over his averagely proportioned frame. I was wondering if I had agitated him. Then, he stood up, extending his hand toward me, smiling ever so brightly in the dim room.

'Forget about this now, you still have an hour to end your birthday, let's make the most of it.' And with that, I took his hand and he pulled me up to him, where he was standing. We stared into each other's eyes for a moment, my arms wrapped around his waist, but I had not forgotten those scars, because they were etched in my mind. I made it a need to find out how it happened.

It was 11 pm, and we went to the Sunbaskers' beach. just a half hour drive from here.

***____ >>>>> When we arrived, and got out of the car and onto the shore, Andrew took my hands and spun me toward him. He spoke to me in whispers, as his forehead was leaned onto mine. 'Stop thinking about it love, I'll tell you everything tomorrow...please.'

My eyes opened at the sound of that. I couldn't wait and I could also tell that it pained him.

I wanted to take a swim, but then I didn't at the same time because I thought that Andrew would wallow in self consciousness. I dismissed that idea and saw him about to comment on my mental state, but I spoke first, knowing that he was going to say it's okay.

'No.' I pushed him back slightly and sat cross-legged in the dry sand. I pull him down next to me, but when he dropped down onto the dusty shore, he lay down.

I thought I heard someone cough, while I was admiring Andrew's jawline, so flawless, under the dim light support from the lamp post right next to the ghostly lifeguard booth. Just then, when I heard the cough, I turned around, but that didn't budge Andrew, as he got lost in the stars above. There were other people here of course, with tents set up to spend the night, but there were far from here.

The stranger's hands were in his pockets, dressed in what seemed like a loose grey t-shirt and a black jeans, his hair slicked back and black, his head turned the opposite direction, looking at the car park probably.

Then, the stranger turned around, and we made eye contact. I wanted to look away but there was just something about him, I was observing his features, with the little light provided.

I couldn't make out his eye colour and his lips curved upwards slightly as I dared not look away. I was hoping he would look away first. He grinned, and I could now see his teeth as he broke the stare and kept walking along the upper beach. I turned forward, then looked down at Andrew, as I was still sitting.

He looked at me and said 'Do you see the stars Shay, they reflect your beauty.' He held my upper arm and was pulling me down to lay with him, Just before he did, I took one look back to see if that stranger was still there, and he was, hand still in his pockets, staring at the calmness of the ocean.

And that, was the first time I saw him.