Chapter 6 - First Encounter

*Shailene's POV*

I awoke to lights illuminating my senses behind my closed lids. Where was I? Then, the lights disappeared, my eyes still closed. Then, they reappeared. What was going on?

I strained my eyes open, slowly adjusting. While I was at it, I recalled the night's events. Somehow, the stranger's smile and stare seemed to be the only thing that lingered in my mind.

When I could finally see who was the devious person pulling the yellow curtain before me, back and forth, I pieced the place together. I was in my own living room. Andrew was trying to wake me up....in my living room.

Where was my father?

I looked over to where his Ford's keys should be, and it wasn't there. Andrew timed this perfectly.
He stood there, feeling accomplished at my awakening, refreshed in a cream shirt and a bright smile.

'Good morning sunshine,' he gleamed from the other side of the room. I sat up slowly, looking at him, eyes narrowed to slits.

'Where is-' He cut me off.

'He left an hour ago. The house is yours. Just wanted to make sure you're awake before I leave.'

'Where are you going?' I shifted some strands of hair behind my ear which were out of place about my face.

He looked serious for a moment, as if he was contemplating something. 'I have some errands to run, but I'll be back soon and I'll bring us lunch.'

Soon. He had some elaboration to do on those scars.

****

Andrew left about two hours ago and I was texting Veronica, currently awaiting a reply. I went out into the yard to check the mailbox because I doubted that my father would have time to check up on bills. The street was still and quiet and I took a deep breath. All I could hear was the neighbour's dog at it again, barking at the thin midday air. I searched through the bunch of keys to find the one for the mailbox. Then, I heard someone running. .in my direction. I looked up.

It was him.

Since we had no fence, and the mailbox stood real close to the sidewalk, the runner slowed to a stop directly in front of me, and I was faced with a full smile which phased me again. All he needed was a really round glasses to pull of the 'nerd' facade.

Why did it bother me so much?

I think I heard him speak, but I couldn't be sure. My mind was preoccupied, studying him closely. Hair the same way I had seen it last night on the beach. His eyes a light brown which complimented his fair skin a bit. The only thing that set me on edge, was the way his eyes reminded me of my mother. There's just a glint of it that made me think of her.

Thank the heavens that I had my father's eyes because if I had hers, I would be reminded everyday, because it's a colour that people usually comment on...and I would have been reminded....and then hate myself.

She left 11 years ago. She never loved me. She always had a back-up family. The family she always took 'business trips' to visit a few times for the year...or even the entire year...well, that's what my father told me. What else was there to believe? I never called her and she never called me. I guess it was mutual. But, that didn't mean I longed for someone to talk to, someone to keep my father on track, someone to do most of the things I do around the house...sometimes I thought I was probably adopted.

The stranger waved in front of my face. He seemed to be talking for quite a while. 'Hello? Earth to beauty?' That was what caught my attention.

His voice clouded my thoughts and I think he realized that he had gotten my attention. 'Are you okay? You look angry.'