Chapter 6

Y/N POV

The rest of the week flies by quickly and before you know it, it's already weekend. Lizzie planned to visit her sisters in New York for two days and decided that you won't be need there, so you have a lot of free time.
And here you are. Sitting on your couch, stomping cereals in your mouth while watching tv. It is your first free day since you came back from the army, and you plan to enjoy it. As the bell rings you slowly get up from the couch and make your way to the door.
"Hey.", you greet your visitor sleepily.
"Good morning, sleepyhead!", Kara greets you with a smile and walks right past you in your apartment.
"Why are you still in your pajamas?"
"Hey to my defense, it's my first day off and I plan on being lazy.", you justify yourself.
"Nuh-uh. That's not gonna happen today. I did not come all the way to spend my day on the couch. So, stop being lazy and get dressed!"
You look at her unimpressed.
"Now! Chop, chop!"
You sigh but make your way to your bedroom.
"You know", you shout, as you begin to put on some clothes. "You begin to sound exactly like your boss."
You hear a light chuckle.
"That is so not true.", Kara replies.
"It is.", you say as you come back into the living room. "So, what's your plan for today?"
"I don't know.", Kara shrugs. "You live here. You should know what to do."
"Then let's go to the beach.", you decide.
"Yes! I haven't been to the beach for at least two years."
As you walk towards your door, Kara stops and takes a framed picture which stands on a dresser in her hand.
"I've always loved that picture.", she whispers, as her pointer finger ghosts over the photo. You step closer to take a look too. It is a photo of your troop, right before your flight to Afghanistan. You were all wearing your uniform and smiled bright into the camera.
"I remember that day so clearly.", you say and smile at the memory.
"James took that photo, right?", Kara asks and you nod.
"Yeah, he got that new camera from his dad and took pictures of everything he saw. Most of them were blurred, though. I'm surprised this one turned out so well."
"Crazy, how time flies.", Kara says and puts the picture back on the dresser. You nod and follow her outside.

"So, where's your car?", Kara asks, as you two walk to the garage.
"I don't have one.", you grin.
"What? You've got that devilish grin on your face.", She points to your face. "What's that about?"
"I drive a motorcycle.", you explain and show it to her.
"Oh no, I absolutely won't drive that with you.", Kara states and looks skeptically at the vehicle.
"Come on! You will love it!", you try to convince her.
"I will die!"
"Now you're just overdramatic." You pause. "Do it for me?", you request with puppy eyes.
She sighs. "I do it for you."
You grin and take out another helmet for her. You put it on her head and make sure that it's secured. After that you help her on your motorcycle.
"Are you ready?", you ask, as you take your seat in front of her. She immediately wraps her arms around your waist and nods against your shoulder.
"Hold on tight!", you shout and drive off.

You arrive at the beach and help Kara to get of your motorcycle. Although she tries to hide it, you can see her smile. She clearly liked the drive.
"Soo, did you survive?"
Kara rolls her eyes. "I did. I guess it wasn't that bad."
"Told you so."
You take her hand and lead her to a good place to sit down.
"How's your new job?", Kara asks and sits down cross-legged.
"It's good.", you say and blush a little as you think of Lizzie.
"Just good? Come on! And why are you blushing? Does someone have a little crush?", Kara teases you.
"I really like it. I mean, I'm glad that I got a job that fast. Our country really has a problem with former soldiers, who just can't get a job and become homeless.
And Lizzie is a great boss. Sometimes I forget that I am actually working. She's really fun to be around."
"Wait, Lizzie? You work for her like what? A week? And you already call her by her nickname?", Kara inquires.
You nod. "I think it was actually my first day at work, when she told me to call her Lizzie."
"Soo you two are friends?"
You take a deep breath. "Kara, you know how I am with friends."
"I know.", she says softly and puts her hand on your knee. "But you can't keep on cutting people out of your life because you're scared that if you love them, you'll lose them. That's just bullshit. If you want love, you gonna have to go through the pain. And don't tell me you don't want it. Everybody wants love and everybody needs it."
You hum. "I just don't think I'm ready yet."
"That's okay. You need time to heal. But don't let your fear ruin something that could be beautiful.", Kara advises.
"You're wise, you know that?", you laugh.
"Of course, I know that.", Kara joins your laugh.
"But speaking of friendship and love and all that. How's it going with, what was her name?"
"Lena.", she blushes. "And it's going well. I mean we're dating for almost a year now. So, it's good, we're good."
"Hey, that's fantastic!", you nudge her. "I'm really happy for you."
"Thank you.", Kara gives you a smile. "You know what? I want to go swimming."
"What? We don't even have a bikini with us.", you say.
"I don't care. We can just go in our underwear."
"But here are a lot of people." You skeptically look around.
"So what? Everybody is busy with themselves. Noone here cares what we wear.", Kara replies.
"Well, okay. Then let's do it."
You quickly strip and run to the sea.
"Jeez, the water is cold." You say, as some waves splash against your belly.
Kara hums in agreement.
"Let's get our heads underwater for a second. On three, okay?", she requests.
"You wanna dive now?"
"Yes, come on. One, two, three!", She counts and you both take a deep breath and sink under the surface.
Snorting and coughing you come back.
"Let's go back now! I'm freezing my ass off.", you say.
You run back to your prior place and quickly put on your clothes.

The ride back to your apartment was cold but you both enjoyed it. Kara wasn't as tense as before and you could sense that she liked driving the motorcycle.
As you arrive, you help her to get off again and guide her inside.
"Do you want to borrow some of my clothes? I don't want you to go in your wet ones.", you ask her.
"Yeah, that would be super nice!"
You give her some clothes and she goes changing.
"Hey, it was really fun today.", Kara says, as she comes back from your room. "I'm glad you're back. We should do this more often."
"Definitely.", you agree.
"I have to go know unfortunately, but we'll see us soon, okay?"
"Yeah, of course!"
You hug goodbye and squeeze her tight.
"Get home safe and text me when you're there."
"Will do! But now I really have to go, otherwise I'll miss my train. See you!"
"See ya!" You wave, as she leaves.

Hey guys! I almost didn't make it to post today, but I did it, so I'm pretty proud of myself.
Anyway, what do we think of Kara?
I hope you had a good day! See you in the next chapter 👋🏻