The Plan

I found myself sitting in the middle of Elijah's bedroom, reading one of his journals from curiosity. Judging the thick, leather-bound journal, I could tell this one was a lot older than some of the others.

I flipped to a page starting with 'August 1359'. This wasn't long after I ran from our village.

'I have noticed a difference in my siblings. Our bond strains beneath the pressure of our life as vampires. Each day removes them further from the humanity we once possessed. My sweet sister, Rebekah, has grown quite indifferent to brutality.'

I could see where Elijah was coming from. We were all so innocent and sweet back then. None of us would even imagine hurting another human being, or even worse - actually enjoying inflicting pain onto others.

'However, the true problem remains my brother, Niklaus. He continues to hide his loneliness with cruelty. Still, I cling to the hope that I, as their oldest brother, can lead them down the correct path, a path charged with the power of a family united. For if I fail, our family's legacy will end in darkness.'

"Oh Elijah." I said to myself, feeling sympathy for him.

He was always the most responsible Mikaelson and now I can tell how much family truly means to him. His nightmare of them all falling apart and indulging into darkness became a reality.

I put the journal down and headed downstairs where I heard Rebekah and Klaus talking.

"I cannot believe you disposed of those vampires without me. You know how I love to set things on fire!" Rebekah complained.

Yup, I can definitely see where Elijah was coming from.

"Was I supposed to leave them in the front yard to rot?" Klaus paused. "Besides, they were my responsibility. They attacked the girl who's carrying my child!"

"Oh, I am so moved by your new-found sense of fatherly duties towards Brooke who's carrying your hybrid bun in her oven."

I finally entered the room, turning their attention towards me. "Well that's one way to put it."

Rebekah shrugged at me.

"Well, I came down here because I would like to know what the plan is."

Klaus leaned against the door frame. "Well, that depends what plan you mean, love."

'Love'. A simple word that makes my heart skip a beat every time he calls me that.

"-my plan for global domination, or Rebekah's plan to find love in a cruel, cruel world?" He joked.

Rebekah smiled at him before spinning around, grabbing a pencil from the desk beside her and throwing it at her brother. As usual though, he easily caught it before it could embed itself in his face.

I sighed at their foolishness. "The plan to rescue Elijah. You know, your brother that is now in the possession of your mortal enemy after you stabbed him in the back?"

Klaus smirked like he had achieved something. "In the front, if we're being specific."

I glared at him so he could be serious for once.

Klaus sighed and made himself comfortable on one of the chairs before explaining. "Okay. Well, firstly, Marcel is not my mortal enemy, he's my friend. Albeit one who is unaware that I'm trying to sabotage his hold over the supernatural community of the French Quarter, but a friend nonetheless. And secondly, I daggered Elijah in order to gain Marcel's trust. If I had known he would place my brother in the hands of a particularly nasty teenage witch, I certainly would have weighed my options a bit differently. And thirdly-" He turned to Rebekah and gestured for her to speak. "- sister, please."