The art of flirting

Karl Sollington was the sort of middle-aged man that looked at least 10 years older than he really was. The hair that he had left on his head was thin and grey, he had a constant look of stress on his face and his suit was desperately trying to hold in his stomach.

He had been the head of the airport for years now and had seen almost everything. He knew bombs in bags, children being born on the runway and also how to deal with wealthy customers who only really dumped their private planes on his runways and gave him a huge amount of money for it.

Karl had also been to so many galas he lost count, but he still knew where the generous donation came from. One of the biggest checks he got every year was from a huge tech firm, that had been a family business for generations. The current owner was Mr. Tom Riddle, who as far as Karl was informed, could very well be one of the richest men alive at the moment.

Contrary to many believes, a lot of pure-blood families had companies in the Muggle world as well. If the most powerful families were to come together, they could no doubt make sure the Muggle world would crash and burn if they all shut down everything, they were controlling in the Muggle world.

Tom also knew were to invest. He made sure that he had Curare had enough connections so they could leave the country within an hour if needed. That meant turning up to the occasional party and wave a check at a few people who gladly took the money, thinking it was a lot but for Tom it was so little he didn't even notice it missing from his bank account. And within a day he had made that sort of money again.

So, when Karl saw Tom, he paled. His men had told him that there was a suspicious duo who maybe had stolen goods with them. A necklace that seemed very expensive was around a child's neck. He never would have thought that the person in question as mister Riddle and his daughter, who he shielded with everything he could.

"Yes, Mr. Riddle, I am afraid my people were not quite sure how you came in possession of this piece of jewelry." The man said, sitting down on the uncomfortable chairs opposite of Tom who looked as if he was the one in charge.

"Well, as you know that I can very well afford this necklace, and then obviously didn't steal it, I assume we can leave. Unless there are any other problems, I'd hate to have to stop my donations which make sure you get paid." The look in Toms eyes was sharp as he stared deep into the ones of every else in the room, casually stroking his daughters back as if he was telling a story. Tom knew this was sort of blackmail, but he hadn't done anything wrong so why should he be accused of stealing.

"No-no...that won't de necessary you are of course free to go, and I'd like to apologize for our mistake."

Tom smirked; the idiot was doing anything he wanted him to. Honestly the things people did for money. But he couldn't really complain. He was born with tons of it, so he never had to worry. "No harm done". With that he got up, putting Curare back on the ground before leading her out of the room. The guy blocking the door opened it quickly and led them past security straight to the lounge.

"I am very sorry as well. We just get so many crazy cases. It wasn't my intention to distress you or your daughter-" the man wanted to continue but one glare told him to shut up. "Have a good flight" the man mumbled before walking into the opposite direction quickly.

--

The flight went without any other problems and the duo was in a car to their appartement. very quickly. The Riddle family had a beautiful pent-house apartment in the nicest part of New York. You could see over thousands of offices from the living-room.

At 5pm the two were greeted in the American Ministry of Magic before being led to one of the main conference rooms. "It's an honor to have you here Mr. Riddle and of course we are glad your daughter was able to accompany you." A woman in a tight fitted pencil skirt and white blouse said. She was good looking, Tom had to admit that, but you could also tell that she knew what she was doing and was a sort of no-nonsense kind of person. A person that would finish the job and do it properly.

"Thank you, Miss?"

"Filler, Amelia Filler." She said stretching out her hand to shake but Tom bent down to kiss it instead, making the professional woman look very flustered suddenly. Her checks turned red, and she stuttered a little, before composing herself only for Tom to give her a heart melting smile making throwing her off completely again.

"Well anyway. My daughter is very interested in magical animals, and I heard you have a huge library section just about Magical Animals from America and I was wondering if she could get access to that? That way I would know she is okay while I work."

Amelia immediately composed herself, back to the ambitious person she usually was. Lord Riddle made her feel all mushy, but when you listened to what everyone had to say about him, he had this effect on almost everyone he met. And God, the newspapers couldn't have been more right about is daughters' resemblance with him. The only difference was the eyes. His dark brown, almost black, and hers were a forest green, fitting to the Slytherin crest on her cloak.

Of course, she had informed herself a lot when she heard that she would be one showing him around and answering any questions he had. MACUSA had been trying for ages to get Lord Riddle to agree to help them. They had almost twenty books in Paselscript as an heir spent a good ten years in America, writing books, before returning to Britain. Now they had important books about magic that were completely illegible. They knew that they wouldn't be able to use the spells as they were in Paseltongue but there were Potions in there too and they wanted those.

Amelia read about Curare's mother. Or lack of her. Many newspapers believed Tom had thrown her out as soon as his daughter was born or killed her, but others said he gave her to the werewolves as a peace offering or used her in a dark ritual. Only very few knew the truth and it would probably stay that way.

"What interesting thoughts you have Miss Filler." Tom suddenly said making Amelia drop her files in shock. Tom quickly caught them while looking into her eyes.

"I'm sorry but you looked so much in thought. Do you believe the rumors? That I killed her or threw her out for no reason." Curare had gone on and was now reading the writing that was chiseled into the stone wall a few meters away.

"Uhm..."