Pt 5 Chapter 16 - Our final stand

Y/n's POV

My eyes met with a slightly greyed hair man who was looking at Tony. The man in the cape held up a singular finger, his eyes full of sorrow. Tony nodded and I saw the stone in his hand.

"Let me." I whispered. He shook his head. He couldn't survive it, there was a chance that with my power I could.

"Please." I shuffled towards him. He took a deep breath looking at the man again.

"Fine." He detached the glove of his suit and I stretched my arm out to slip it on. He put the stone in the glove just as Thanos snapped his fingers, just as he had done 5 years ago. Five years before the world was thrown into utter chaos. Five years before our struggles. Five years before now.

However, with the snap of his fingers there came no flash of white, no searing light, and no loss. He looked at the gauntlet, panic in his eyes. He turned his hand over, only to find that the six stones were no longer in his possession.

My eyes darted to my own arm which was burning. All six stones were embedded in the glove on my left hand. The power surged up my arm and my head moved back to embrace the pain. Our team watched on, worry in their eyes. Tony looked back to Thanos, taking steady breaths as he moved close enough to grasp my free hand. It was like a pain I had never felt before and yet there was something about it that I enjoyed.

Everything had happened so quickly but Thanos had now realised.

"And I..." I tried to speak as confidently as I could despite the agony running through me.

I couldn't quite believe what was happening. I wanted to cry out. I wanted to end it all now. However my voice felt as if it had been taken from me.

"Am..."

My heart dropped and my eyes filled with tears. I knew this wouldn't end well. But I also knew that this was the one and only way.

"Y/n Romanoff and you should have thought about what you were doing before you messed with my family." I growled. It was like a wave of adrenaline that washed over me. I could see my wife, my daughter and the rest of my family gathered around me even if they weren't there. I knew this would be the end but somehow I looked forward to it, welcomed it.

I clicked my fingers and a flash of white forced my eyes closed as the deed was done. Everything faded.

I didn't know how long it had been but I woke with a hurried breath and sat straight up. I was sitting amongst the rubble, every one of my team was gathered around me. The land was silent. All around us the enemy was falling. Everyone single one of them, dusting away like our family had done before. We had won. But at what cost.

I could not see Thanos. Everything he had done, blew away carelessly in the breeze. More dust to be added to the rubble of our destroyed home.

I collapsed back down to the floor and let my eyes fall shut content with the fact that we had won.

"Friday?" I heard Tony's voice ask softly as his hand lay on my chest.

"Life functions critical." The AI responded quietly..

"Tony?" I smiled.

"Yes?"

"We did it." I laughed. "We fucking did it." I could feel the life slowly draining from my body but I didn't care.

"Look at me." I heard Clint say. My eyes opened slowly and I saw the man's face.

"You're gonna be okay." He told me. He bit back his tears, smiling again. "You can rest now." He squeezed my hand. I felt his tears fall on my face. My eyes closed again.

Fire crackled around us, muffling Wanda's sob. The noise faded and everything felt blank.

When I tried to open my eyes again everything felt different.

I did not see my friend. I saw... her. My wife. We were in the garden of the cottage in Cornwall. The sky was blue and the grass was dotted with flowers just as it had been before. She was sitting on the bench. I took a seat beside her.

"We won." I smiled, taking hold of her hand.

"I know." She nodded with a faint grin.

"I told you we would do it."

"And I told you to be careful." She frowned.

"I did it for them, you know I did. At least we can be together now."

"No we can't. Not quite yet." She replied.

"No?"

"No Y/n. You are going home Darling."

"What?"

"This isn't the end, I won't let it be the end for you. Go home. Keep fighting. Just keeping holding on so you can go home."

"But home is here, with you." I held her hand tightly.

"Don't be silly."

"I'm not being silly."

"Just remember that I love you. And I'll be waiting for you when the time is right." Natasha said, looking deep into my eyes.

"What?"

"It's time to go now." She nodded. I felt my eyes fill with tears.

"No, please."

"Goodbye Darling." I felt her kiss my cheek as my eyes closed.

When I opened them again I was back on the floor of my destroyed home. I once again felt the cold stone on my back and the blood around my head. However, this time I felt relief. In fact I felt like everything was perfectly alright.

Tony had dropped to one knee, as had everyone else. They had dropped their heads in respect.

"You didn't think it was that hard to get rid of me." I smirked. Wanda who was now the closest to me looked up. I had never seen her so happy. It was as if seeing Nat had given me my hope back, she had given me that push to stay alive. She had saved me once again. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry that it's so short, I've been a bit pushed for time atm! Hope everyone is well and I haven't broken too many hearts form the past few chapters <3 

Also I've updated/ rearranged my Spotify playlist for this story if anyone wants to check it out! The link is in my bio...