Chapter 26 - I Will Follow You Into the Dark

Nothing ever fatigues me, but doing what I do not like. - Jane Austen

When I awoke, I found myself back in my flat. I squeezed my eyes shut as I tried to will away the worst headache I had ever experienced. The portal had a vacuum-like effect, and I was certain this was what being inside a black hole felt like, however, less deadly. The cerebral pain was making me feel paper-thin, as though my head was going to rip apart or implode at the temples. The headache flicked in the back of my eyeballs. Feeling as though I had a vice on my head, I groaned and rolled to my side, the cold tile soothing my face. Opening my eyes, I noticed another figure lying next to me. I did not desire to see. If I looked, it would prove this had all happened, and everything had been real.

I breathed deep and slowly bent my head to look at none other than Mr. Darcy. His top hat lay carelessly next to him as if abandoned. A minor setback, I told myself as I attempted to remain confident. Now that I knew the mirror was the catalyst, I could figure this out. A minor complication, I reiterated. My positivity faltered when I asked myself if the book was the catalyst, and the mirror was a mere instrument. Recognizing I was more confused than ever, I pushed these ideas out of my head and focused on the present.

I moved towards him and placed two fingers upon his neck, checking for a pulse. A rhythmic beat vibrated upon my fingers, and I emitted a sigh of relief. He was going to be okay. He was going to be fine.

Thank goodness, I had a decent-sized bathroom. That was one of the selling points when Pirhana and I had bought the place. The other was the fact that it was a two-bedroom condominium, and the kitchen had an island. The condo was not cheap, but we could comfortably afford the place since we were both working. Now that I had no job, everything was going to change.

Guilt washed over me as I looked at him. It broke my heart to see him in such a way. I lifted his head from the floor and onto my lap. Stroking his hair with shaking hands, I started to sob without cessation. I never expected all this to happen. I had begun to feel comfortable in my new world. A tiny part of me did not want to come home. I loved him. I loved him so much it hurt.

I had messed up big time. How could he trust me now? Several times, I had struggled with telling him the truth. I decided against it because I did not want to ruin what little of Pride and Prejudice I had left.

I braced myself when his eyes flickered open, and he looked upward at my crying face. He jerked away from me, sitting up to study his surroundings. With a furrowed brow, he noticed the light fixture.

Groaning, he stood up with great effort. He put his hands on the sink, leaning against it for support. He glanced sidelong at me, regarding me with a suspicious eye, "Where am I?"

I stood up, "You're in..."

Trailing off, I pursed my lips, my eyes filling with sadness as I stared at him. I hung my head in shame. I could feel his eyes searing me as he waited for me to finish my sentence. My mouth went dry, and my tongue felt pasted to the roof of my mouth. My hands and fingers grew cold as they shook of their own accord.

"Where am I?" He picked up his hat from the floor and put it on his head again.

My voice wavered, "You're in my world."

"Miss Elizabeth," he narrowed his eyes,"do not lie to me. I am finished with your lies and-"

I sighed and walked out of the bathroom before he could finish. He accompanied me to the living room with every purpose of finishing what he was going to say. He stopped in his tracks when he saw the widescreen television set mounted on the wall. Its sleek, black screen shined back mirroring his probing expression. His features changed from vexed to curious, and he walked towards it, poking the screen with his finger.