Bayou Clinic

Klaus' POV

"Over the course of my life, I've encountered no shortage of those who would presume to speak of good and evil. Such terms mean nothing. People do what is in their best interest, regardless of who gets hurt. Is it evil to take what one wants? To satisfy hunger, even if doing so will cause another suffering? What some would call evil, I believe to be an appropriate response to a harsh and unfair world." I spilled, while observing a large painting.

"No offense, but I'm not sure I follow why you've invited me here." Cami asked in confusion.

I turned around and smiled. "Because I enjoy your company. And I sense that you have the capacity for understanding someone of my...complexity." I walked closer towards her while speaking.

"You see, I returned to New Orleans to investigate a threat posed against me. What I found was a woman I deeply cared for who I believed had run away from me. Come to find out she is pregnant but I have also learned that she spent a lot of time hiding the truth from me, yet I still feel drawn to protecting her. My brother, always the do-gooder, tried to manipulate me into helping her. He thought it might redeem me."

I once again moved away from the girl and stood in a different spot in the room. "Trouble is, I've since learned of another young woman. A girl, really, one with vast potential; held in captivity by a tyrant."

I turned around, looking back at the girl again. "I want to help both of these women; protect one and free the other. So, tell me, Cami."

I took a few more steps towards the girl. "Does that sound evil to you?"

"I don't believe in evil as a diagnosis. I think you have unstable personal relationships, stress-related paranoia, chronic anger issues, fear of abandonment. I think you could benefit from talking to someone. Professionally."

I smiled in amusement. "I think I prefer to talk to you. So, I'm going to offer you a job as my stenographer."

I sat down on a chair beside me and made myself comfortable.

"Okay. What are we writing?" She asked, still confused.

"My memoirs, of course. Someone should know my story. And it will give us time to discuss other riveting subjects, like your handsome suitor, Marcel."

The blond became slightly offended. "Excuse me? My private life is-"

"Your private life is, as it turns out, essential to my plans." I interrupted.

"You see, Marcel wants you. And, because of that, he will trust you, which serves me."

I got up and wondered around the room explaining. "The thing is, the French Quarter is on the verge of war. On the one side there's me, and on the other, Marcel. Along with a very powerful witch and an army of vampires."

"What?!" The girl exclaimed, freaking out.

I vamp-sped over to her, pushing her against her wall and began to compel her. "You're frightened. Don't be."

I let go as soon as she began to relax.

She looked at me with a puzzled expression. "I'm not scared anymore. That's... amazing. How did you-"

"It's called compulsion. It's a neat bit of vampire trickery. I'll tell you all about it. But first, let's talk a little more about Marcel."

-

-

Cami was wiping down the bar as I visited her at work.

"Hello, Cami."