Six Years Later (Alternate Universe)

This is connected to the previous alternate universe chapters. If you haven't read A Different Time and Alternate Universe Continued you NEED TO!
***********************************

Carter zipped up her duffle bag and gazed around her room. Despite only having packed clothes, there was something about the room that already felt empty. She glanced at her diploma hanging on the wall. She hadn't felt it necessary to hang it, but Captain had and she decided not to fight it. After all, it might be something to cheer him up while she was away.

Hoisting the duffle back onto her shoulder, she left, closing the door behind her. As she stepped into the living and dropped the duffle onto the floor, a knock came on the front door. She crossed the room and opened it.

Standing on the other side, dressed in a nice pair of slacks and a button-down shirt with the sleeves rolled up was Donovan Keller. Looking, though she didn't know how it was possible, more attractive than the last time she saw him.

Smiling, Carter rested a hand on the doorframe.

"Donovan Keller," she said. "What brings you to my doorstep?"

Donovan checked his watch. "Six years, right?"

"I do like a man who is on time." And one so good looking. "What do you have planned for this date of ours?"

"The gun range and afterward possibly dinner."

Carter arched an eyebrow. "Possibly dinner?"

"It all depends on how well you do at the gun range. I'll know if you're worth buying dinner for."

Carter laughed, she knew there was a reason she was drawn to him. Six years hadn't seemed to change that.

"And if we have this dinner it will be an official date. How do you feel about dating your former boss's daughter?"

At this, Donovan smirked all confidence and teasing blue eyes.

"I have spent six years proving to your father that I'm a man worth trusting. I know that if I asked him right now he'd approve of me marrying you."

"You seem confident about that. Why don't we test that theory."

Carter backed away from the door, allowing Donovan a chance to enter the apartment.

"Captain," Carter called out.

A door down the hall opened and a moment later her father walked into the living room. Seeing Donovan, he smiled and approached him, hand outstretched.

"Donovan," he said. "Good to see you."

"Likewise, Steve. I'm here to ask for your approval to marry Carter."

Man, Carter liked a man who didn't shy away. Captain laughed, but not in a mocking way.

"Donovan, I have watched you for six years do an amazing job. If Carter accepted you and you were serious about her I would be more than happy to give my blessing."

Donovan shot Carter a look of challenge. One she found she liked, a lot.

"Captain, I feel like you shouldn't be so eager to give away your only daughter."

Her father crossed his arms ponderously. "Do you want me to threaten to shoot him?"

Carter shrugged. "It would be nice."

Facing Donovan, Captain stared him down. "Hurt my daughter and I'll shoot you."

"Understood, sir," Donovan said.