Ch 54: A Wedding of Snow and Cakes

The months bled away until the ache in Adelaide's chest became a constant. Its sharpness had dwindled, but the pressure was a constant. She and Henry still spoke frequently, spending the majority of their time together, but the secret kisses and slight touches declined in frequency. It was as if they were both trying to pull themselves away from a lifelong addiction by gradually decreasing their dosages. Which, upon fuller consideration, Adelaide realized they were. 

If there was a silver lining through all the heartache, it was that Adelaide and Kayden's relationship returned to resembling something of what it was six years ago. They chatted ideally while out on the training grounds, ate lunch and dinner side-by-side, and even ventured out to go hunting together on a few occasions. Kayden didn't call her Adelaide or mention anything about Henry or the future, and the return to normalcy was pleasant and welcomed.

A shock did come, though, as the winter winds blew in and the ground froze solid. 

Adelaide blinked several times in puzzlement, staring at Lewis as if he suddenly had two heads. 

"You're asking me for permission to marry Charity?" She sputtered. Lewis's face, if possible, became even redder, the shade a perfect match to his hair. He nodded his head and fidgeted uncomfortably. "Shouldn't you be asking her father that?"

 Adelaide's laugh seemed to ease some of the tension from the young soldier's shoulders. 

"I plan to, yes," he said embarrassed. "But I wanted to speak with you first. I know you and Charity have a strange arrangement when it comes to raising Roland, and I know I've asked you in the past if you had feelings for her and you've told me no, but I just wanted to make sure that was still the case. I respect you a great deal, Sir Arthur, and would hate to have this ruin our relationship."

Adelaide could have hugged him. The dread that weighed on her about Charity and her future seemed to lift automatically. The smile she gave him was blinding. 

"It is not really my permission to give, but it would make me genuinely happy if you and Charity were to marry." Lewis's redness receded and he broke into a boyish grin that made him appear years younger. He saluted Adelaide with a fist over his heart before departing, saying he was going to go and find Sir Philips and Lady Philips and ask for their blessing. 

Without hesitation, Adelaide departed to track down Charity. 

The girl was stunned when Adelaide cornered her in the stalls and gave her a rundown on the conversation she'd just had with Lewis Terrier. She had hay in her hair and her lips were open wide in disbelief. The horse equipment she had been carrying was discarded on the ground as her cheeks pinkened. 

"He's going to ask if he can marry me?" Charity's voice was breathless with what could only be happy surprise. 

"I didn't even know you liked him," Adelaide laughed, bending down to assist Charity with regrouping the supplies. Still flustered, Charity stuttered for a response. 

"I've always found him charming, but I didn't think the sentiment was returned," she said, smiling a little through her haze of wonder. "We've only spoken on a few occasions, but he's so kind and sweet. He sometimes brings me apples and helps me take care of the horses."

"Why have you never told me about him?" Adelaide asked, trying to ensure her tone wasn't accusatory. 

"It didn't seem important," the other girl said with a shake of her head. "Not with everything going on between you and Henry. Besides, I didn't know he saw me that way. I figured I was just a girl in passing he was polite to out of obligation."

Adelaide felt the sting of guilt sharp and sudden. It seemed to show on her face, too, because Charity dropped the horse brushes she'd just picked up and grabbed Adelaide's hands tightly.