the storm

.·:*¨ ¨*:·.

 maybe it's time they know

❉ ╤╤╤╤ ✿ ╤╤╤╤ ❉

IT had been a long week. After re-entering the Fire Nation, Zuko had only narrowly escaped Avatar Roku's temple, and the volcano around it, erupting. Of course, the Avatar had escaped, and Zhao was only more furious with Zuko. Only a few days after that, they had caught up with the Avatar in a port, where they had a run-in with pirates who wanted a scroll the water-tribe girl had stolen from them.

Zuko's temper had only shortened over the past few days of events. He was always unpredictable with his anger, but he had been particularly explosive, his anger mostly directed towards the crew. For once, Zuko's anger seemed to brew and stir, more like a storm cloud than a lightning strike out of nowhere.

"There's a storm brewing," Iroh said, his tone serious. Airi glanced up. The weather was perfectly clear now, but she had been feeling raised hairs on the back of her neck all day, the same way she felt right before Azula let off a dangerous lightning bolt. Besides, she trusted Iroh's judgement more than pretty much anyone else on the ship. 

"You're out of your mind, Uncle," Zuko replied sternly, as though he was aghast that Iroh would even dare suggest such a thing. "The weather's perfect. There's not a cloud in sight."

"The storm is approaching from the north," Iroh said, and instantly, Airi knew what was about to happen. "I suggest we alter our course and head southwest."

"We know the avatar is heading northward, so we will do the same," Zuko replied shortly, turning his face away from his uncle and back to his telescope in an attempt to track the avatar. 

"Please, Prince Zuko, consider the safety of the crew," Iroh said sternly. Airi huffed a humorless laugh. Zuko had not once considered the safety of the crew in all their time on the ship, why on earth would he start doing it now. 

"The safety of the crew doesn't matter!" Zuko exclaimed, advancing angrily on Iroh. Airi turned away from the angry prince, a sour look on her face and made eye contact with Lieutennant Jee, who happened to be walking past. Slowly, Zuko and Lieutennant Jee made eye contact, the later raising an eyebrow in challenge. "Finding the Avatar is more important than any individual's safety."

Airi scowled, and Jee looked furious. Zuko stalked away, Iroh staring after him for a moment before turning to Jee and Airi. "He doesn't mean that, he's just all worked up."

It didn't sound like he believed what he was saying either. 

Airi offered Iroh a smile. "It's not your fault. You don't have to spend your life running around after him cleaning up the messes his temper makes."

Iroh sighed but said nothing. Airi knew what he was thinking- because that was exactly what Iroh had to do. Just like how Airi would follow Azula around cleaning up after her messes, Iroh would follow Zuko around. 

Love was stupid, whether it was familial, platonic, or romantic. And it made people do stupid things. 

A few hours passed, Airi deciding to spend her time practicing throwing knives. It was an excellent way to get out anger, not to mention incredibly satisfying when she threw them and they landed in the plank of wood she was using as target practice (though she had put the head of a mop on top because it had reminded her of a ponytail). Iroh had been right, and storm clouds were brewing overhead.