Twenty Six | Welcome To My City

N Y L A D Y L A N S

T U E S D A Y T O W E D N E S D A Y

Anneliese lets me through the door at approximately ten in the morning. I handed everything but my wristlet that holds my insulin and things to Julian, who is placing all the bags in the back of his Suburban. He purchased the thing last year after this old one broke down and let me just say it is a very nice car.

It has eight seats, the exact amount of seats needed for us. I took a peek inside and gnawed at the amount of space that thing has.

"Is your diffuser finally working?" Anneliese asks. "Your curls have beautiful definition today."

"I brought it with me too. The humidity down there is so ruthless that I can barely air dry my hair." I answer, following her into the living room to see the other three still passed out on the couch. "When are we leaving?" I ask Anneliese again since they look like they're dreaming the morning away.

"Eleven thirty-ish. With traffic and gas stops we should make it there by eight or nine in the morning." A full day of travel is going to make me extra tired. "We won't be stopping at hotels either since there are four adults who will trade off driving. Was it like that on your way from here?"

I don't remember much from that day. I was asleep the whole time to get my mind off the fact I was moving so far away.

"It was hard for me to see the You're Leaving Presley sign." Though it was a stupid fancy sign I almost broke down crying when we crossed the line that gets us out of the city. My mind kept going back and forth between asking my dad if we could do one final drive around the city before we left for good.

I twirl the wristlet in my hand, waiting for at least one of them to get up.

When Anneliese returns beside me she spots the wristlet. "I have a bag with all of Delaney's things. I can put that in my bag so it is all in one place." I hand it off to her, grateful it is safe with the other medical supplies. Ezra and Julian are going in and out of the house and Riley is sitting next to me, keeping me company.

Julian walks back in after everything is put inside of the car and shakes his head at the sleeping children. He walks into the kitchen and waves me over. He hands me a pot and a wooden spoon. I observe the two things in my hand and he takes another wooden spoon and pot. It makes a loud bang.

I shush him but feel dumb when I realize that is the whole point of the pots and spoons.

Now Riley is the one shaking her head. Anneliese and Ezra stand in the corner to watch.

"I can't do this! This is mean!" I whisper.

"Ezra," Julian whispers. "Take the thing from her."

I gladly hand it to him and cover my ears right after. I take a few steps back, bumping my hip into the counter. I bite back a curse and then the two start banging their wooden spoons against the pans.

Delaney is the first one to sit up, but it doesn't last long when she takes a blanket and runs up the stairs into her room. We don't have any more time for sleeping, Laney.

Atlas covers his face with a pillow and Dakota sits up, looking rather annoyed. He turns to look at the dad's but he sees me and waves. He never fails to wave hello to me. Even at school or when we somehow get to our windows at the same time, he always does the small gesture.

"Aww, good morning grumpy." Julian squishes At's cheeks. It makes us laugh more than it should and gives me major flashbacks to when I was little. Atlas groans and chucks the pillow at his dad. "Are you guys seeing this? The youngest one is tired. He needs his morning sleep."