~3~

"So it's like she never existed?" Charlie rubbed the back of his neck, it was a habit he had developed when he was young to cope with any upcoming stress or nervousness. Right now it didn't seem to do anything for him since the back of neck was now a dull pink color from the harsh rubbing.

"Exactly," a fellow officer also seemed a little off put about everything, "maybe she was one of those secret babies." The man had shrugged, it was something he heard on tv about people having children at home without anyone knowing, and raising them under the radar of the government.

"As stupid as that sound she might be." Charlie signed, though a smile seemed to grace his face, "which leads to only one thing to do."

He had a plan, it would be pretty easy considering Aurora really liked him anyways. He would have no problem adopting the girl as she would happily agree to stay with him.

"And what is that?" The officer beside him looked curious, "you're gonna put her into the Foster care system?" He frowned, he didn't want the girl to end up there, who knows who could take her in and take advantage of her.

"Of course not!" Charlie groaned, "we both know the Foster care system is horrible, and plus I have an extra room in my home." He dropped the hint that he wanted to adopt Aurora and the officer smiled.

"Ah," he brightened up, "that's a great idea Chief!" He gave Charlie's back a couple good smacks, "you'll take great care of her I assume?" The officer thought it was a great idea though he was a little worried about Charlie's health, he knew the older man was probably still grieving about his lost daughter.

"Very much so," Charlie nodded, already typing on his computer a website for furniture, "It was about time I let go of something that can't be changed." He was steadily searching through the website for random girl things.

"If you say so." He was worried but he wasn't too worried, if this would help Charlie then he wouldn't complain or try to stop him.

"But don't you think that's a little too pink?" He paused, checking the things Charlie was looking through.

"You think so?" He looked confused, "don't girls like pink?" He didn't see the problem and the officer couldn't help but sign.

"Shirley, I think you need to come over here." He motioned to the woman at the front desk to come over to where they were.

"Micheal, Charlie? What's wrong boys?" She quickly made her way over, she didn't know much about crime but she did know how to work a computer, hence why she worked at the front desk.

"Charlie's gonna adopt the mystery girl and needs help decorating her bedroom." Micheal shrugged, he had a teen daughter but he didn't decorate her room only her mother did, all he did was paint and put together the furniture.

"That's all?" She cringed a little at all the pink Charlie had on his cart and instead, took the neutral route. Replacing all the bright pink with pale pink and adding some white, black, and gray options.

"Now with these colors you can basically paint the walls any color, though I would suggest a creamy white color." She shrugged and passed the computer back to Charlie who smiled, it all added up into the thousands but he had the money to spare after never really spending it anyways.

"Though I think it'll be pretty sweet of you to head up to build a bear and make the young girl a stuffed toy to welcome her." She gave a small one also, she only saw the girl through pictures and believed she was such a sweetheart with such a bad past.

"Yeah, I'll go do that." Charlie smiled, he also made a note to email someone about adoption papers.

"Poor girl." Shirley frowned, a sad look upon her face as she read through the barely existing files whoever had her really wanted nothing to be known about her.