Basketball (E)

"High school was going pretty good. Katie, Y/n, and I had our new wigs and no one even knew I had cancer. The best part of our day was lunch. It had two of my favorite things: food and gossip. Okay, gossip."

"I heard Courtney Stillman is in a Target commercial," Reagan said as we all went down the lunch line.

"I heard Lorraine and Tanya are fighting again," Hannah said.

"We're not talking about your great-aunts, Hannah," I said, patting the girls shoulder.

"It's still juicy."

"Tell me later," Katie whispered to her, Hannah giving a thumbs up in response.

"I heard that a girl in our grade has cancer," Toby, a boy we had classes with, told us.

"Nobody likes a gossip, Toby," Katie said, trying not to let it slip that the person was Alexa. We grabbed our trays and walked to an empty table.

"You guys, who told?" Alexa asked.

We all responded with 'I didn't tell' except Hannah, instead she said, "I told."

"Hannah! Who did you tell?"

"Lady Gaga. But it was just in a dream," We all let out a sigh of relief at that. "We also ate apples dipped in chocolate and I flew on her back."

"Sounds like a fun dream," I hummed.

"Oh, ok, so people know, but they don't know it's you," Katie told Alexa.

"Everyone will figure it out when I don't try out for basketball this week," Alexa responded.

"Who is part of this Alexa Mendoza fan club and where do I sign up?" I asked.

"Yeah, seriously, who are these people following your every move?"

"People do, Katie. They just do."

"Oh!" I roll my eyes at the sound of Gwenny's voice. "Hey, Alexa. Look at you, sitting down. That will be great practice for warming the bench this year."

"Oh, it's you, Gwenny! Well, that explains the smell. I thought a rat died in the vent," Alexa told her.

"Go ahead and laugh. You'll be crying Friday when I beat you out for point guard."

"Ha! Jokes on you, Gwenny. She can't try out this year," Hannah told Gwenny, not knowing she was making it worse.

"Hannah!"

"Why not?"

"Because I'm joining an after-school club."

"The Losers Club?" Gwenny asked.

"I see the resemblance with you and Pennywise," I said, referencing IT. "Especially the smile."

Gwenny just sarcastically smiled at me.

"That's not even a thing," Katie told Gwenny. "And... and if it were, it would be made of you."

Gwenny just laughed before she walked away.

"No?" Katie asked us, noticing the blank stares we were giving her.

"Oh, great. My smothers not home," Alexa said as we walked into the Mendoza's house.

"Hey, that's mean," Katie told her.

"Yeah, ok, Lori's always there for you with a blanket, a hug, a sandwhich ... " I trailed off when I heard what I was saying. "Ok, your smother."

"Mm-hm. Yeah, it's gotten worse since school started," Alexa said, handing Katie and I drinks. "She comes home from work early just to stare at me." As if on cue, we heard a car door close outside.