Chapter One

Steve rolled his shoulders as he walked into the Veteran's Affairs building in Washington, keeping an eye out for his new friend Sam, who had met earlier that week whilst running.

He walked past the receptionist, who gave him a large smile, batting her eyelids. He stood at the door and listened as a woman spoke about her trauma, Sam nodding and listening as she described nearly crashing her vehicle because she thought a bomb was on the road.

Sam noticed Steve whilst he was bidding the group goodbye, but Steve had his eyes casted to the other side of the room, where a woman was giving him a deathly glare. Feeling uncomfortable, Steve looked down. After a moment, Sam came up to him, Sam placing a hand on his shoulder.

Having only a brief conversation, Sam clapped him on the back and headed back to his belongings. After the blonde man moved to leave, YN walked over to Sam, watching the back of Captain America leave the room.

"What was Captain Rogers doing talking to you?" She snarked, helping Sam stack chairs to the right side of the room.

"Met him while out for a run the other day. Good man." YN rolled her eyes, a frown settling onto her features.

"Not the term I'd use." She muttered, placing the last chair on top of another.

"Why not?" Sam questioned, picking up his bag and nodding to the exit.

"He's a glorified soldier, Sam. Why should he be praised when soldiers are laying down their lives every day, and some of us don't even get a tomb stone let alone cereal boxes with our faces on them." Sam sighed, sliding into the car next to YN.

"He flew a plane into the ocean to stop it from blowing New York to pieces, YN." YN shook her head.

"Okay, great. And you picked up a grenade in your bare hands and threw it into the air to stop a village from exploding. Where is your recognition?" Sam sighed again, looking to his lap before he started the car.

"He's a war hero." Sam tried to reason.

"We all are, Sam. And some of us are still struggling to pay the rent." YN turned to the window, staring as the passed the streets of Washington. Deeming the conversation finished, Sam stayed silent until he pulled up to his home.

"Are you staying here again?" He asked, sliding out of the car. YN fiddled with her fingers for a moment before following Sam out of the car.

"Is that okay?" YN whispered, scuffing her shoe on the cement while Sam grabbed his bag.

"It's fine, YN. Can you at least tell me why you can't go home then?" YN shook her head, feeling her emotions bubble up. "Alright, hey don't work yourself up. Let's go have some dinner." YN nodded, walking behind Sam with glassy eyes.

Over dinner, YN remained silent as she pushed around the peas on her plate. She was trying to work up the courage to tell Sam the real reason she wouldn't go back to New York.

"I-" She started, grimacing as her voice broke. Sam looked up from his meal, concern etched into his brow. "I've been evicted..." YN trailed off, throwing her fork down. "Four weeks ago."

"YN! What? Why didn't you tell me?" Sam placed his utensils down and slid over to YN's side, squatting between her legs as she turned to him.

"I was embarrassed." She whispered, looking down into Sam's eyes.

Sam shook his head. "YN, you know I'd never judge you. What have you been doing for the last few weeks?" Sam grabbed onto YN's hands, where her fingers were picking at her skin.

"Slept at my Ma's for a while, but I didn't tell her why I was there so I had to leave before she asked too many questions. Couch surfed for a week and I slept at the VA the other night." She said, looking down in embarrassment.