Chapter 1

I sighed as I walked down the wet, dark street. Working late hours at a shitty diner was really getting to me. After having to avoid not one, not two, but three men's attempts to grope me at the diner, I was ready to quit my job and start a new life.

With the degrees I had, I should have been working a better job, but I wasn't, because I was 'only nineteen' and didn't 'have enough experience.'

While it was true, I was young, and yes, I didn't have any experience, I had smarts, and that should have been enough.

Who was I kidding, of course that wasn't enough. If only I could have told people that I had a perfect mind.

I chuckled to myself. As if people would believe that. As if people would believe that my memory was perfect, and I memorised every single thing that I had ever seen, thought, or heard. As if people would believe that I learned things at a much quicker pace than normal.

It began raining and I walked quicker. The faster I got to my apartment, the better. Even though Queens had Spiderman protecting the city, the streets at night was dangerous for any woman.

"Hey, gorgeous!"

I exhaled sharply through my nose and continued walking.

"Where are you going, princess?"

He's not worth your time, he's not worth your time, don't punch him in the face-

"I'm talkin' to you!"

A hand grabbing my arm yanked me out of my thoughts. I looked to the man who was talking to me. He was bald and had a missing tooth.

"Let go of me," I said, wriggling to free myself.

The man narrowed his eyes at me and grinned.

"I don't think so," he said. "I think you and I should have some fun."

"I don't think any woman could have fun with you," I said, ripping my arm free.

The man lunged for me, and I took a few steps back. A figure landed down in between me and the man.

"Hey, the nice lady said no, buddy," the person said.

I immediately recognised him as Spiderman and allowed a sigh of relief to exit my lips. The other man looked at Spiderman as if he was going to fight him.

Fool. Spiderman could lift roughly seven-hundred and sixty times more than the average human. I said roughly because I'd only seen him lift fifty tons at the most. Besides, Spiderman also had webs. Webs that I really wanted to get a look at. I wondered what they were made of.

The man who was harassing me lunged at Spiderman. Spiderman webbed his hands together and then webbed him to the wall.

"Would you like me to walk you home, ma'am?" Spiderman asked.

I smiled at him. Based on the sound of his voice, he would have to be a teenaged boy, maybe fifteen or sixteen.

"Thank you, but no thank you," I said politely. "My apartment is only a block away."

Spiderman nodded at me once and then swung away. I watched him disappear behind a building before continuing my walk home.

What kind of job could I change to? What kind of job would benefit my mind? Something where I had to remember things...

Perhaps I could be a translator. I was fluent in seven different languages, seeing as it was easy to remember and use the words, pronunciation, and sentence structure.

Or maybe an assistant for somebody. I could remember all of the meeting times and the person's schedule, I could get out of the stupid diner...

I should probably stop fantasising. It wasn't the best thing to do. All I would do is get my hopes up, and then be thoroughly crushed when I had to work somewhere I didn't want to be.

I finally arrived at my apartment block without any more incidents. I got into the elevator and pressed my floor. The elevator rose slowly, and I tapped my foot on the floor impatiently. I took out my phone and started searching for jobs.

The doors opened and I continued walking, still looking at my phone. I had my entire floor memorised. I would be able to get into my apartment even if I was blind.

I got to my door, still scrolling through available jobs. I got my keys out of my pocket and unlocked the door before closing it behind me and locking it again.

I really wanted to sleep, but I needed to find a new job first. If I got groped by one more nasty man, I would start throwing hands.

I opened my laptop and stared at the background for a moment. It was a photo that was taken only two years ago when I was seventeen. It was a photo of me and my parents, looking like a normal family. I stared at it for a moment longer before opening a browser. I didn't want to think about that at the moment.

I typed assistant wanted into the search bar (I know, I should stop fantasising, but I couldn't help myself) and waited for the results to pop up. I scrolled through a few before I blinked at the screen in surprise.

No way. I had to have read it wrong. But I hadn't.

Tony Stark was looking for an assistant. I knew that Pepper Potts was now the CEO of Stark Industries, so she wasn't his assistant anymore.

I clicked on the link. It took me to the official Stark Industries page and to a part about the job. I read through it eagerly, memorising everything.

Technically I was qualified, minus the no experience part. Might as well make a time for a job interview.