Chapter 2

I looked up at the Avengers Tower. I was lucky enough to have been able to make a job interview time with Miss Potts. Apparently, the ad had only gone up a few minutes before I'd seen it, and the job interview times were all taken within the hour.

I shook myself and walked into the tower. I looked around the lobby, committing everything to memory. I walked up to the receptionist desk.

"How can I help you?" the receptionist asked.

"I'm Y/n L/n, I'm here for a job interview," I said.

The receptionist typed away on her computer and squinted at the screen.

"Y/n, yes," she said. "Happy will show you to Miss Potts' office."

I turned to the side to see Happy. I knew that he was Tony Stark's head of security and one of his closest friends. Happy gestured for me to follow him and I did. We walked into the elevator.

"Where to, Happy?" a voice asked.

"Business floor, Jarvis," Happy said.

Jarvis. Tony Stark's A.I.

The elevator moved upwards, and I looked to the floor.

"How old are you?" Happy asked.

I looked up to him.

"Nineteen, sir," I said.

Happy cocked his head. The elevator doors opened, and he exited, gesturing for me to follow him. We walked down a hall before we reached a set of double doors. Happy knocked once and someone replied with a simple, 'come in.'

Happy opened the door and revealed a lavish office. There was a couch and three armchairs near the door with a tv and a liquor shelf. Bookshelves lined the right wall and there was a massive floor to ceiling window at the end of the room. Pepper Potts sat in front of the window at her desk.

She looked up and smiled.

"Thank you, Happy," she said.

Happy nodded once before leaving. I stayed still and Miss Potts gestured for me to come over. I did so and sat down in the chair across from her. Miss Potts flipped through a small folder on her desk, and I realised it was my resume and other information about me.

"So, you are nineteen, correct?" Miss Potts asked. "It's not a typo?"

"Yes, Miss Potts," I said. "I am nineteen."

Miss Potts looked surprised.

"And you've graduated college already?" she asked. I nodded. "That's impressive."

She skimmed through the papers again.

"And you speak seven languages?" she asked incredulously.

I nodded again.

"My parents moved around a lot for work," I lied. "I learnt a few languages then, and I also picked a few up for fun."

Miss Potts regarded me coolly.

"What languages are they?" Miss Potts asked.

I knew she was testing me, to see if I was lying. I couldn't blame her. If a nineteen year old came in for a job interview and claimed that they could speak seven different languages and had already graduated college, I'd be suspicious too.

"English, Russian, Spanish, Italian, French, German, and ASL," I said.

Miss Potts's eyes scanned the paper as she confirmed the languages.

"Can you give me an example in Spanish?" she asked. "Can you describe why you want to leave your current job?"

I did as she asked, saying that while the diner was nice, it wasn't for me, and I wanted to do something more useful.

Miss Potts nodded throughout my explanation. She glanced at a holographic screen which I noticed was translating every word I said.

Miss Potts nodded again at the end of my explanation.

"Why do you think you would be good at this job?" she asked. "In English, please."

"Well... I have a great memory," I said. "I have great time perception and time management skills. I'm a very organised person and I'm good at keeping people in check."

Miss Potts nodded again and looked at my resume again before sighing.

"I'm not going to lie to you, you would most likely be great for this position. The only thing is, you have no experience," she said gently.

I nodded slowly and sunk back into my chair.

"I know," I sighed. "But even though I have no experience, I still think I'd be great at this job."

Miss Potts seemed to consider it for a moment before she stood up.

"Follow me," she said. "We'll see what Tony thinks."

My eyes widened in surprise, but I did as she asked. She walked out of her office, her heels clicking on the floor. I followed after her, trying not to let my excitement get the better of me.

Was this really happening? Or was I dreaming? Was I really going to meet the Tony Stark?

Miss Potts knocked on a set of double doors. There was no answer, so she opened the door poked her head through the opening.

"Huh," she said. "He's not here. You can just wait in there while I go find him. Make yourself at home."

She opened the door wider for me. I thanked her and walked into the office. It was very similar to Miss Potts's, only messier. Tony Stark's office also had a couch and three armchairs near the door with a tv and a liquor shelf. Where Miss Potts's office had bookshelves, Tony Stark's had whiteboards with equations.

I heard Miss Potts's heels click away on the ground as I looked around in wonder. I looked to one of Tony Stark's whiteboards and paused.

One of the equations was wrong and unsolved.

Of course, it was a difficult equation and easy to mix up, so I decided to make his life easier and fix it for him. I rubbed out the incorrect value and began to fix the rest of it. Once I was done, I stepped back to double check my work, which I didn't need to do, but I did it anyway.

"What are you doing?"

I jumped and turned around, clutching the whiteboard marker to my chest. Tony Stark stood in the doorway of his office with his arms crossed over his chest, and Miss Potts stood behind him.

"I – uh... the equation was wrong," I said. "I fixed it."

Tony Stark narrowed his eyes at me and walked over to the board and he examined it. He rubbed his chin thoughtfully.

"Huh," he said.

I waited to get reprimanded, or told to get out of his office, but he stayed silent.

"I – I'm sorry," I said.

Mr Stark turned around and clapped his hands once.

"Why should you be sorry?" he asked. "You just solved an equation I hadn't been able to solve for a week. Although, I did have it wrong, so I guess that's my fault. You're hired."

I blinked at him.

"I – pardon?"

"You. Are. Hired," he said. "You start tomorrow."