1

The first wave of snow fell on Yejing in the early winter of the third year of Yuanxi. The specks of white were like feathers floating to the ground, covering the droplets of blood. A carriage sped down the street with urgency, disturbing the resting snow.

On the silent street, a man's roar awakened the slumbering town.

"Faster! Go faster!"

Xiao Zhige's eyes were red as he hugged a feeble person in his arms. He calmed his voice and said, "Don't be afraid, I'm taking you back to the palace. It's going to be fine..." The man's voice was lowered into a soft whisper for fear of alarming the person in his embrace.

And the person in his arms was a handsome man dressed in a golden robe with a white jade crown adorned on his hair. He had long brows and eyes of the phoenix. His nose arched tall like a mountain and his lips were moist and pink. There was a little tear mole under the left corner of his eye, adding a touch of gentleness to the already stunning visage. If he was not in a debilitated state and had blood dripping from his mouth, the man would have incited many heartthrobs.

"Your Majesty..."

The long eyelashes trembled as An Chang Qing struggled to open his eyes and parted his lips to speak. The first image that he saw was Xiao Zhige's frightened look.

He was a little confused. They have been married for ten years but they were not intimate. Back then, Xiao Zhige did not ask for his consent before requesting their marriage from the Empress Dowager. An Chang Qing had been filled with fear and reluctance towards Xiao Zhige and thus, they had always been estranged from each other.

Xiao Zhige saw through his unwillingness and did not force him either. The two had lived their separate lives in the Wang Manor through the years. Later, when Xiao Zhige ascended the throne, they changed their residence but still went on to live their separate lives.

Being this intimate, it was the first time. Although they were not close, An Chang Qing could tell the anxiety in Xiao Zhige's eyes was sincere. He thought to himself, those rumors outside, they were not all true.

"Chang Qing..." Xiao Zhige looked into his eyes, his voice was shaking, "Does it hurt?"

An Chang Qing wanted to shake his head but his insides suddenly burst with pain as though someone had stabbed and twisted the knife deep into his organs.

"It hurts..." An Chang Qing writhed in pain. He clenched his teeth but more blood kept gushing out.

Xiao Zhige hugged him tighter. He wanted to help him but there was nothing he could do. He stroked his hair and softly comforted him over and over, "We're almost there, we're almost there..."

The sound of the rapid horses passed through the palace gates and headed straight for Qiwu Palace.

Over ten imperial physicians had been kneeling outside the hall. Xiao Zhige carried the man in his arms inside and carefully placed him on the bed. The imperial physicians dared not make a sound. They could only take turns checking his pulse.

An Chang Qing had his eyes closed. Sweat was dripping down his forehead and the blood that flowed from his mouth could not be wiped clean with a single handkerchief, it gradually dyed his clothes red.

The imperial physicians finished their examination and looked at each other. Finally, they all knelt down and a white-haired physician spoke for the group in a trembling voice, "Your Majesty, forgive our incompetence!"

In one sentence, his end had been determined.

"What's the use of keeping you bunch of wastes?!" Xiao Zhige kicked the old physician in the chest. His temper had always been violent. With his years of training, that one kick flung the old physician a few feet away. The old physician coughed out a mouthful of blood which he did not have the time to wipe off before kneeling down once again and begged, "Your Majesty, please have mercy!"