lxvii. responsibility? no!

chapter sixty-seven

─── responsibility? no!

          𝕿he windows were open, cold air blasting it to combat the warm summer's day, and Luke's hand was resting on my leg as he drove. He had sunglasses on, snickering to himself as Annabeth and I bickered over the song choice and who the best character in Harry Potter was. 

"Grover's at camp as well," Luke interrupted out bickering over the pros and cons of having moving staircases in Hogwarts.

"Is he?" Annabeth stopped talking to me, turning to face Luke, who nodded. "What about Pan?"

Luke made a 'eh' sound, shrugging his shoulders. "It's kind of hard to explain." 

We rode in silence after that. Annabeth fell asleep soon into the trip (as car rides normally made her sleepy) and Luke and I were more than happy just being with each other. The city melted away until we were off the expressway and rolling through the countryside of northern Long Island, past orchards and wineries and fresh produce stands.

I stared at the phone number Rachel Dare had scrawled on Luke's hand. That was an interesting case. Most mortals couldn't see through the mist, so meeting one that could was rare. The only other person I knew who could was my mum.

Then again, my mum was Sally Jackson so that was to be expected.

We exited on Route 25A, heading through the woods along the North Shore until a low ridge of hills appeared on our left. Luke turned the car in, pulling off the road into a hidden close of trees that the naiads closed behind us. There were a few other cars there that the older campers had, and Luke parked near the exit before grinning. He held a finger to his lips, motioning for me to undo Annabeth's seatbelt. I did as quietly as I could.

"Annabeth!" She screeched as Luke gave her feet a tug towards him. She sat up, glaring at the blond man, who was laughing his head off.

"You think you're so funny," She swore at him straight after causing me to snort, before she retreated to my side. "Your boyfriend's an idiot."

"Tell me something I don't know," She turned and stuck her tongue out at Luke. Luke stopped laughing, grabbing his bags and locking the car, before wrapping his arms back around me.

We hiked to the crest of the hill. The young guardian dragon was dozing, coiled around the pine tree, but he lifted his coppery head as we approached and let me scratch under his chin. Steam hissed out his nostrils like from a teakettle, and he went cross-eyed with pleasure. Luke stayed far away from it.