10

After dinner, Steward Wang came to report that the ya po had selected a few suitable hires and asked when An Chang Qing would like to meet them.

An Chang Qing: "I'll have a look tomorrow afternoon."

Steward Wang bowed respectfully and was about to retreat when Xiao Zhige stopped him, "Sort out the account books for the Manor and the stores outside. From now on, Wangfei will be in charge of them."

Steward Wang had a change in expression. He wanted to say something but seeing Xiao Zhige's decisiveness, he kept it in and bowed, "Yes."

After Steward Wang left, An Chang Qing looked at Xiao Zhige and smiled smugly, "You're giving me control over the businesses as well? Is Wangye not afraid that I will squander all your gold?"

Xiao Zhige was undressing when he heard An Chang Qing's words. He replied, "No."

Briefly after, worrying that An Chang Qing would exercise undue caution, he added, "There is no shortage of gold in the Manor."

The smile on An Chang Qing's face widened. He rested his chin over his hand and looked at him. An Chang Qing had always known that the Wang Manor housed a massive amount of wealth. In his last life, when Xiao Zhige ascended the throne, due to the previous Emperor's need for extravagance, the nation's treasury was almost empty. At one point during the war against the Beidi people, there was not enough gold to procure rations for the soldiers. In the cold winter, the starving soldiers had to kill their warhorses for food. Having heard the news, Xiao Zhige donated chests upon chests of gold to the border to alleviate the famine.

But even the An Chang Qing who was ignorant about war knew that that was only enough for the soldiers to drink bland soup. Later, Xiao Zhige had executed a group of corrupt ministers and seized their wealth, all of which he had sent to the border. The battle which had dragged out for months eventually came to an end with the Da Ye soldiers being victorious.

This was the reason why the hundred thousand soldiers had been unshakably loyal to Xiao Zhige. But at the same time, Xiao Zhige's reputation as a tyrant had become worse amongst the people.

The ignorant citizens could only see the ruthlessness when he killed the ministers and confiscated their gold but they did not know that without the gold, the starving frontier soldiers would have lost the border, allowing the barbaric Beidi people to charge right into Yejing.

The events from his past stirred his heart. An Chang Qing looked at Xiao Zhige and smiled warmly, "Since Wangye has put your trust in me, I will not disappoint you."

Again, Xiao Zhige did not want to put any pressure on An Chang Qing and simply said, "I will not be disappointed" before leaving to take a bath. When he was done, it was An Chang Qing's turn. After finishing his bath, An Chang Qing came out and saw that Xiao Zhige was already lying in bed reading a book.

Seeing An Chang Qing, he put the book away and patted the space next to him, "Come into bed, it's cold outside."

There was heating in the room but An Chang Qing did not refuse him. He obediently climbed into his side of the bed. It was then that he realized that the mattress was particularly warm. He looked up at the expressionless man and smiled. The Northern Warlord must've pre-warmed the bed for him.

After being together for three days, An Chang Qing found that Xiao Zhige would only do things in silence. Unless asked, he would not mention it. What an awkward man.

An Chang Qing pulled up the blanket but despite being immersed in warmth, he still shifted towards Xiao Zhige all the way until he was in his arms.

Feeling the heat against his body, Xiao Zhige was pleased yet helpless. He put out the light and hugged him back, "Sleep."

"I can't sleep." An Chang Qing who was comfortably wrapped up by the warm body whispered, "You haven't told me how to use Fei Cui."