CHAPTER 19

Genesis

The day of the wedding was quickly approaching us. I had been to parties after parties, attending with Carlos. Being his arm candy and making the Salvatore's look like the holy grail of Italy.

Then it was the night before the wedding.
Stress had overflowed upon me. Making me feel not myself.

Liam had been assisting my father with some wedding arrangements with politics that included flashing them their guns and whatever else to threaten them to stay away from the wedding.

The Salvatore's were determined to keep this wedding perfect at any cost. Carlos constantly threatened me about speaking upon the fact that he knew about my mother. My wrist and forearms had looked like the dusk sky with blues and purples. Asshole.

I sit down at my vanity and brush out my long hair. I look at myself in the mirror for way to long, examining my face to the point where I didn't even realize it was me.

It's a very very strange feeling.

I glance over at my wedding dress for tomorrow. It's hanging on my closet door. The lace looks amazing.

There's a knock on my door.
Before I can answer it Liam comes in.

"Oh hi." I say softly.

"Hey." He says sitting down at the foot of my bed.
I turn to him.

"I have to tell you something." He says.

"What?" I question.

"It's about me. My past." He continues. I scan his face and see nothing but worry.

"You can tell me." I say.

"That's the thing." He says.
"Your getting married tomorrow and then after....that's it between us." He says looking at me, as I sit at my vanity.

"And I haven't had the time to tell you." He mumbles.

"I wish it didn't have to be the end between us. But you know as well as I do that Carlos won't let us see eachother." I mention.

"I know. So that's why I have to tell you about my past. So that you know. Because you asked to know about me. And all I could answer with was that I wanted a German shepherd. Which was a shitty answer-"

"Liam. It's okay." I say standing up and wrapping my arms around his neck.
"What is it?" I ask.

He sits down on the bed and I sit next to him.

"I used..." he begins. I see him hesitate. For a long while.

"My mother died when I was younger too." He says.

My face floods with shock.

"I had a younger brother. And my father was an asshole who never came to see us. Only my mother." He says. "Then she got sick. Really sick.", he says looking into my eyes.

I furrow my brows, trying to understand.

"She got sick and when she did my father stopped coming to see her. Stopped giving her money. She couldn't pay for the expenses of her illness. And eventually she passed away." He says looking straightforward.

I gently grab his chin and direct his face towards mine hoping he will look at me. And he does.

"I'm so sorry." I whisper.
He looks away again.

"My brother and I didn't know what to do so I looked around for jobs until I got hired into being a get away driver. Then a body guard.." he mumbles.

"I made a lot of enemies. And they killed my brother." He says, still looking forward.

I don't know how to react so I stay silent.

He turns back to me.

"You told me all about you and I never told you about me. I don't think I ever told anyone that." He says.

I embrace him in a hug.

"And my real name is William Moretti." He says with a slight smile.

I look down at him, with me standing and him sitting at the foot of my bed.
"I kinda figured that one." I say with a small smile.

"When you get married tomorrow, your father is going to give me a new job. Reassign me." He says.

I nod quietly to myself.

"But I'll still be around here and there." He says.

"You mean meet up in secret?" I mumble.

He nods.
I smile.

"You should go to bed." He says quietly.
"But I don't want this to be the end." I whisper.

He slowly pushes me down on the bed and lays next to me.

"It's not. Yet." He says.

He sits up with his back to my head board. I lay next to him with my back to his chest.

I feel his chest rising and falling. Rising and falling. Rising and falling.

"What was your brothers name?" I ask.

"Andreas." He says.

I roll over and turn to him.
"Promise me you'll stay for the wedding. And dance with me tomorrow?" I ask.

He nods.
"But you really should sleep." He comments.

Him petting my head softly turns into me drifting asleep. The one place away from this mess.

  - Liam -

I couldn't do it. I couldn't tell her. Not about the non morto cremisi. I glance over at her dress.

She would look amazing in it and I'm sure she does. Seeing her up there with him will kill me.

I can't sleep either. But seeing her sleep helps settle my nerves. I can't imagine her with Carlos Salvatore. Of all people.

I glance at my watch that was sitting in my duffel bag. It reads 2:12 am.

I slowly get up and walk over to her dresser. On top of it is a gold journal. I've seen her write in a few times. I grab it and flip all the way to the back.

A blank sheet of paper. I grab the end corner of the sheet of paper and slowly rip it, hoping it will be less quiet.

I look around for a pen of some sort. My eyes fall on a thin red marker. I pop the cap off quietly and begin writing. 3 words.

3 words that I need her to know. I fold the small piece of paper into into tiny squares and shove it in my pocket. I'm supposed to be guarding the wedding today.

I grab my duffel bag and take one last look at her sleeping body. I turn my head away from her.

God damn. The power she holds over me. I grab onto the door handle and open it slowly and quietly and walk out.