thirty six: spies

After a string of losses, the sign of victory in his hands was a pause to his darkness. Now, Nathaniel had a reason to pin down Frank. He was slightly shaken that if Alpha Remmington decides to contest his decision to throw the old wolf into his jail cell three stories below ground level, then Nathaniel would have the chance to unmask the mysterious Alpha.

He gazes at Lilian and sends her an affirmative nod. It didn’t take long when the Beta summoned ten wolves armed with their pistols, cocked and ready to shoot. Minutes later, Frank was handcuffed along with the wolf in charge of guarding him. Nathaniel felt grim at the oversight.

A spy. No wonder why that wolf seemed off yesterday. There was something wrong about them and yet he chose to ignore it and that mistake could lead to him losing a great deal of information.

Though he was relieved slightly and at the same time panicking. One weight lifted, only to be replaced with a heavier one. He heard the words that were spoken inside the parlor and it was all too grim. At that moment, Talon was on the brink of shifting.

The wolf stopped in front of him, that sly grin he wore made Nathaniel’s wolf boil. He had a knife hidden in his boot, it would be so easy to kill the wolf. But there was time for everything and quelling his thirst for revenge now would be a mistake.

“Morris, that face, the similarities are so uncanny, it's disturbing,” He chuckles so freely.

His father did make relations with pack Remmington and it scorched him to think that his father and Frank were business partners for a while. He had heard enough of being likened to his father appearance wise but it was a futile attempt to deny it when he too could easily see how much he reflected his father’s skin.

Nathaniel locked his jaw. “Frank Remmington, this recorder in my hand will stand as evidence for your heinous crimes committed in our pack’s land. You will be put through trial and justice will be served based on my and my council’s verdict. Once a decision will be finalized, you will be stripped of your wolfhood and remain as a criminal for the rest of your life. Further retaliation and we will reconsider your verdict, assess it and I will make sure it be ground for public execution. Death by molten silver down your throat.”

He had doubts, a lot of them. It’s so odd for Frank to surrender himself to their pack and not fight through his arrest. His willfulness was a flag too red not to ignore. Topped with that smile he was wearing, all Nathaniel wanted to do was ask him more questions. But he had already surmised that the wolf would clam its mouth if he pressed further.

It put him through a rough spot and he felt helpless knowing that.

“Death by molten silver? Come on now, Morris. There are deaths more creative than that. How about a guillotine? Timeless, classic, and a spectacular scene to watch.” The wolf speaks.

“You should really stop talking now, uncle. Please, for the sake of your children.” Talon mutters sullenly. He looked as if he was still grieving. After what was discussed inside the parlor, memories would have surfaced and come back to bite him.

“I’m sorry for trying to kill you, Talon. No, no, forgive me. I’m sorry for not trying to kill you sooner.”

The wolf continues walking, leaving the rest of them in utter silence. The hall seemed to darken as Alpha Highcliff remained shocked at the parting words his uncle left him. There was that extreme darkness around his face. So deep and heart-wrenching. He failed to understand how many wolves could be so cruel and how easy it was for them to leave the wolves around them to suffer.

He turns to his Beta.

“Lilian, proceed with caution and if you require relief, set up Blake Henderson and tell him to be in charge of guarding Frank and his daughter.”