Chapter 67

Chapter 67

Tanet was silent for a few moments since Pranee asked the question.

"I don't feel like myself."

Tanet stared at the area in front of his legs with empty eyes. Pranee noticed the stare and rubbed his head with her hand.

"I thought I was fine. I was in the tent healing up, I got prosthetics..."

"It was also really busy the past few weeks." Pranee frowned. "Did you have time to even meditate?"

"No," he admitted. "I mean yes. I was going to but then my feet..."

There was a lapse of silence as Pranee mulled over Tanet's situation. She had thought her brother could go through anything yet still come out with a smile. Life wasn't so kind though and even the strongest person could drop to their knees in times of suffering.

"I think... when you finally had time to yourself, your mind started to think about the pain you went through. At least... that's what it looks like to me," Pranee said softly.

"I permanently lost my feet. How am I supposed to live like this?"

"You just do. You saw Kiet and Shashi. You even saw Wipa and Anong. All of them still carry on through life and find happiness in it." She pushed Tanet's wet hair out from his eyes. "Suffering is just as temporary as any other emotion. I'm sure you'll be able to live and thrive."

He tilted his head away from her and raised an eyebrow. "When did you become so full of wisdom?"

"I guess... I've done my own self-reflection outside of the palace."

"Did Shashi have a hand in that?"

Pranee stayed silent and pulled her hands away from her brother to cross her arms.

"Still not ready to talk about that?"

Pranee couldn't meet Tanet's eyes and he sighed.

"I guess it can't be helped. You met Reza though it seems."

Pranee bit her lip. "I did."

"What are your thoughts about him?"

"He seems... nice. I don't know much about him. Why?"

"Dad used to have talks to me that being a prince meant doing your duty to the kingdom and our family. Protect the women, protect the people, and all that stuff." Tanet took a shaky breath. "Have a child to pass on the bloodline too."

"I remember mae saying something similar."

"She told you that you needed to wear the wig at all times, didn't she?" Tanet asked it in an accusatory way.

Pranee's eyes fluttered closed. "To be a princess meant being a desirable woman. Be agreeable. Be beautiful."

"What dad told me just made me think more when I met Reza. Why is pleasure pit against duty? Why can't it be both?"

Pranee was about to answer but the doors opened again to reveal Kiet and Reza. Anuman followed not too long behind and Pranee could see that Shashi seemed to have been waiting outside the whole time as they peeked over their shoulder into the room.

Kiet had a tray of food in his hands and Reza was carrying jars of herbs. Anuman had a motor and pestle in his arms to grind up the medicine from Pranee's guess.

"How is he doing?" Reza asked Pranee.

She glanced to her brother and he gave a thumbs-up in return. "Okay, it seems."

"Well, it's still good to take preventative measures." Kiet placed the tray on the ground and took the herbs from the emperor. "I'll grind up some herbs and make some protective potions so you don't have to worry about it happening again any time soon."

Tanet nodded. "Sounds good, doctor."

"Wizard is good enough. Shaman would be a stretch since I don't usually go out and ward away spirits." Kiet inspected the herbs.

"Does that mean I won't be able to have my feet grow back any time soon?" Tanet asked jokingly.

Kiet took a look at Tanet and smiled. "Where did you get that joke from?"

"Where do you think?"

The two continued to banter and Reza and Anuman seemed preoccupied with their own tense conversation. Pranee walked past the two and Reza had a stern look on his face while Anuman looked like he was holding back tears. She didn't know what happened between them but she didn't want to get involved.

She made her way out of the room and met with Shashi. They looked at Pranee with raised eyebrows and she gave a small smile.

"What are you doing out here?" They asked.

"It was getting too chaotic so I wanted to come out here to relax a little," she replied sheepishly.

"The emperor actually told me about a garden outside that we could visit. Would you like to go there with me?" Shashi gave a lopsided smile that made Pranee blush.

"I could use the fresh air."