Chapter 20

"You did what?" Soomin repeated, mouth still open as wide as when I first told her the news.

"I stepped down a department....haven't I already said that two times now?" I replied with a sigh. "Anyways, I really don't want to talk about that right now. You wanted to tell me something first?"

"No, first I need to understand this." She replied, shaking her head lightly. "Not only did you decline the offer, which I totally understand. But you also requested a lower-ranking position....why?"

"I don't want the added stress...?" I thought aloud, giving another sigh. "Honestly though, I'm thinking of changing career."

"Oh, wow." Soomin replied, leaning back in her chair. I took a sip of my hot chocolate, which had arrived just a moment or two before our conversation started.

We were in a small coffee shop, that Soomin and I loved. But even though she ordered her favorite drink, she still had yet to even lift it from the table.

"And to be completely honest here...." I continued on, stopping for a second, wondering if I should even say this. "I don't want the added stress, not because I feel like I wouldn't be able to handle it. But because....I know I'd have to go to Yoongi more often."

"Hold on now." Soomin interrupted, holding her hands out in front of her, prompting me to stop. "Are you trying to say, you want to avoid Yoongi, all of a sudden?"

"Well....when you put it like that, it sounds bad-

"I'm not putting it like that, you are." Soomin protested, seeming somewhat agitated. "Why are you going back to being scared again? You're supposed to be taking steps forward, not back."

"Why is this bothering you so much?" I replied back, getting frustrated at Soomin's reaction. "This is on me, you don't have to worry about it."

"But you're my best friend, of course I'm going to worry." She continued, getting increasingly annoyed by each word said between us. "One minute you're a crying mess, in need of my help. The next, you're on your own two feet, facing this problem head on. And now you're telling me you're retreating back, without any explanation. It's hard to keep up, especially when you start pushing me away."

"I'm not pushing you away." I replied sternly. "I just don't think it's a matter you need to involve yourself in."

"Do you now?" Soomin replied, looking slightly taken back by my reply. "Oh yeah, because my comforting you from the beginning wasn't any type of involvement. And yet, somehow when I now want to know what changed, you refuse to talk, saying that is too much involvement on my part."

"But Soomin, I have things that I don't have to tell you." I retaliated, frustrated with her sudden outburst. "Maybe this is just one of them."

"I'm not saying you have to." She replied, raising her voice slightly. "You know, you do this all the time."

"Do what-

"You know what." She stated. "You have people who want to help and care for you, right here, all the time. You're all happy and thankful, but when something happens, you push away anyone who wants to help. I can only do so much to help you out here."

"I never asked you to help me!" I blurted out, instantly regretting it, the second I heard myself say it aloud.

"Wow." Soomin whispered, giving a single bitter chuckle, while shaking her head lightly.

"No wait, Soomin, I-

"No, it's fine. I really shouldn't have persisted." She replied, standing up from her seat. "If you don't mind, I'll be going now."