Chapter 6

Andrew

It takes a minute for my head to register the drunken slur behind me. The fog of desire that has been so thick between us almost makes completing any thought other than a dirty one impossible. I feel the muscles in my jaw tighten as anger pulses through my veins. I knew tonight had the potential to get ugly; I just didn't think it would happen so soon.

Giving her thigh a quick reassuring squeeze, I look into her eyes and try to express that I'll take care of this. My asshole best friend has put her through enough shit already. I have no idea how long he'd been watching us, but my guess is he'd had his eyes on her since she first walked in. I turn my head to look up at Evan, "What are you talking about?" I let my hand fall slowly from her thigh and turn my chair so my body is blocking his path to her.

Evan huffs and I can see that he is trying to think of a way to say his next words without me calling him on the hypocrisy of hooking up with your best friend's ex. I'm curious how he's going to pull this off. "Shouldn't you guys be over with the group?" His eyes shoot daggers into mine and I lift a brow at his intensity.

"She was just getting a drink, and I need a refill." I lift my empty glass so that he can see it's the truth. I can see he isn't buying it so I decide to add a little more information to sell the story. "I came over here because the bartender was laying it on pretty think with her. I saw and decided to do something about it."

His eyes soften a little as he looks between us. "Grab your drinks and come hang out with us!" He gives me one more warning glare before turning around and pushing his way back to the group.

"Oops," Sophie's voice carries over the loud beat. She shrugs her shoulders and takes a sip of her pink drink. I watch as her lips pucker around the straw and feel the fog rolling back in. Her tongue slides across her lips collecting the moisture before she says, "I guess we have to go back."

"Probably the right thing to do." It's absolutely not what I want to do though. What I want to do includes more strawberries, those pink lips of hers and my hotel room. This week is going to be torture. We stand up together in the small space between our two stools and her breasts press against my chest. I can't resist wrapping my arm around her waist and puling her a little closer.

The line about the bartender wasn't a lie. It really was the reason I was making my way over to her. I'd watched him lean across the bar further than necessary and stare at her chest while he poured her drink. It was as if someone shot me with a dart of testosterone because I couldn't get across the bar and subtly claim her in font of the douche fast enough. She has no idea how innocent she looks and how that alone would cause a flurry of dirty thoughts in men's minds.

I purposely rest my cheek against hers when I say, "Stay close to me tonight. You look fucking gorgeous. Like all kinds of sex on a stick and I want to make sure no one tries anything you don't want." Her hands grip my shirt like her knees might have gone a little weak and damn if my dick didn't enjoy that.

I start to pull my lips away from her, but she pulls me back. "Who says I don't want someone to try something?" I'm pretty sure I've descended into a circle of hell having her soft little body pressed up against mine while her ex, my best friend, is only a few feet away watching the whole thing. I know he is has no boundaries, but before this wedding I had liked knowing I had some.

"You have no idea how good that sounds," and just to reassure her I press her closer so she can feel exactly how her little show has affected me. "But you've had a lot to drink and I don't know you well enough to know if you're going to regret it in the morning or when all of the people from the wedding find out about it. Rachel's your best friend and Evan is mine. If we did anything, and God, please believe me that not doing anything is taking everything I have, I'm worried it will get out and your reputation will be drug through the gutter."