Chapter 7

Sophie

There are so many feelings swirling around in my body right now. I'm disappointed I won't get to see where a night with Andrew will take me, but also relieved that we'll have avoided a possible awkward morning after. I feel curious and if I'm honest, suspicious about Evan's behavior. I know he isn't a big fan of Andrew and I spending time together, but I thought maybe he would see the hypocrisy in that and know to keep his opinion to himself. Instead, he looks so angry and flustered I'm a little worried he might start something with Andrew when Rachel and I are no longer around.

The boys are walking a few steps behind us as I turn towards my room. Sliding the key in the door, I open it wide for Rachel and she steps inside without so much as a look behind her. As I close the door, my eyes meet with Andrew's and I can see the disappointment in his crystal gaze. A small wink from him just before the door shuts lets me know that he isn't angry, just as frustrated as I'm feeling.

"Wow, this place is really nice," Rachel says as she makes her way to the window at the far end of the room. Her hands reach to pull the curtains back slightly so she can look out over the beach as the moon casts light down the shore.

"Yes. It's one of the nicest rooms I've stayed in. Didn't you get to preview the rooms before you had them reserve a block for your guests?"

She shakes her head as she still peers out instead of facing me. "We only looked at the honeymoon suite. I guess we didn't really think too much about other people." Her voice fades away at the end as if she might feel a small amount of regret for that. I sit down on the end of the bed so the feeling of slowly spinning can reside. I let out a small laugh without humor not thinking and quickly look to her to see if she heard me.

Her head is bowed and she has a tight grip on the curtain still in her hand. "I know you think I'm selfish Sophie." I feel my stomach knot so hard it makes me flinch. "I'm hoping one day you will truly forgive me for falling in love with him. I swear I didn't mean to."

I let myself fall back onto the bed and suck in a big breath as I wait for her to continue. She still can't look at me. "We tried hard not to. I think we both just missed you so much that it brought us together." I wonder something myself, like will my vomit actually taste like strawberries when she finally makes me throw up? "We wanted to wait until it wouldn't hurt you. You know I wouldn't do anything to hurt you on purpose." Her head finally turns in my direction, but I don't want to look at her.

"Rachel, I trust that you wouldn't have tried to hurt me." I need to. If I thought that she had made choices knowing how badly it would hurt me then our friendship would be over. I've put a lot of time into us and it breaks my heart to think that she could throw it away so easily.

"I think when you find someone for yourself it won't even matter anymore. We can both move forward without all of this between us. I can't be happy if you aren't happy for me. I know how selfish that sounds, but it's the truth. I love you." I feel the bed beside me dip as she moves to sit on the edge. She doesn't try to touch me or even force me to look her in the eyes.

"I love you too, Rachel. I'm fine, really. I'm here to watch my best friend marry the man she's in love with. That's the important thing about this week." I open my eyes and reach out my hand to hold hers. She smiles down at me and then lies back, still holding our hands between us.

"My mom wasn't happy when I told her I was going to ask you to be my maid of honor. She told me I was selfish to ask you. Her and dad act like I've committed a horrible sin dating him after the two of you were together so long. They said I'd be lucky if you even showed up." She turns her face to me and a tear falls down into the comforter below us. Reaching up with my thumb I brush away the wet trail on her cheek.