Chapter Four

---------------------------------------------------------

TWO YEARS LATER

---------------------------------------------------------

YN was sitting in her lounge room, flicking through the channels on the television when a familiar face caught her eyes. Sitting up straight, she turned up the volume, leaning closer to the screen.

"....this just in. Captain America, The Falcon and The Winter Soldier have been apprehended after a large scale motorway chase this afternoon. This comes after the bombing of the UN just days ago, thought to be the work of The Winter Soldier. The men were sighted in Bucharest, Romania earlier this afternoon, and detained shortly thereafter. What's now lies in the future for the two men told to be part of Earth's mightiest heroes..." YN switched off the television, slumping in her seat with a pit in her stomach.

YN was sick of seeing her old friend's face on her screen every other night. The thought of him made her spiral nearly every time. Her feelings would bubble up, anger, sadness and mostly regret. Regret for not fighting him to stay.

YN was at the kitchen bench, chopping carrots when her phone rang, the screen showing it was her mother. "Ma, what's up?" She called, placing the phone down with the call on speaker phone.

"Hey, baby." Her mother's rough voice started. "Just wanted to check in with you." YN rolled her eyes.

"I'm guessing you've seen the news then?" Her mother confirmed. "I'm fine. Sam's living his life the way he wants to. It's none of my business." YN's mother sighed, YN listening to her rant on about holding grudges and what it does to your frown lines. "Ma, hold on I'm getting another call." She lifted her phone, stomach dropping as she saw the words 'Sam Wilson' pop up. Sending the phone to voicemail, she went back to the call with her mother. "Sorry, telemarketer."

YN sat and watched a movie that night, scrolling her social media on her phone. A news article about a fight at a Germany airport popped up and her instincts made her click on it. She flung herself into a sitting position as she read about the 'rogue' Avengers being detained in Germany, after a big fight between them all. She tried to sypher out his name, but they weren't giving too many details.

"Fuck, Sam. If you're dead, I'm going to kill you." She muttered to herself, running a hand through her long hair stressfully.

Two days later, YN was sitting in the car park of the VA, head rested against the steering wheel as she snored lightly. Sleep had been scarce the last few days, her nights spent in front of the television, stomach curling with anxiety. Her shift had ended two hours ago, but YN couldn't keep her eyes open.

The sound of her phone ringing reefed her from slumber, her hand fumbling blindly for her phone. "Ma, I told you. I'm fine."

"So your Ma's worried? Should I be worried?" YN's breath caught in her throat, a large lump forming there.

"Sam?" She whispered, pulling the phone back to see private number labeled there. "Where are you? Are you okay?" She asked, tears rolling down her cheeks.

"Hey, princess. We need to breathe, remember? Big breath in, count to five, let it out." YN chuckled, smiling through her tears.

"I miss you so much, Sammy." She said, voice barely audible.

"I miss you too, beautiful." Sam replied, sighing down the phone.

"Where are you?" YN asked again, bringing her hand up to her mouth to bite at her fingernails.

"I can't say." He whispered, choking on his own breath.

"No, Sam. Tell me. I'll come to you." YN pleaded, leaning back in her seat. "Please, Sam. You're all I have left here, please."