Multimedia 101

What is Multimedia?

Ø Derived from the word "Multi" and "Media"

v Multi

· means Many, Multiple,

v Media

· tools that is used to represent or do a certain things, delivery medium, a form of mass communication – newspaper, magazine / TV..

Definition of Multimedia

Ø a combination of text, graphic, sound, animation, and video that is delivered interactively to the user by electronic or digitally manipulated means.

Elements of Multimedia

1. TEXT

o A broad term for something that contains words to express something.

o most basic element of multimedia.

2. GRAPHIC

o Two-dimensional figure or illustration

o Could be produced manually (by drawing, painting, carving, etc.) or by computer graphics technology.

o Used in multimedia to show more clearly what a particular information is all about (diagrams, picture).

3. AUDIO

o Produced by vibration, as perceived by the sense of hearing.

o In multimedia, audio could come in the form of speech, sound effects and also music score.

4. ANIMATION

o The illusion of motion created by the consecutive display of images of static elements.

o used to further enhance / enriched the experience of the user to further understand the information conveyed to them.

5. VIDEO

o Is the technology of capturing, recording, processing, transmitting, and reconstructing moving pictures.

o Video is more towards photo realistic image sequence / live recording as in comparison to animation.

Interactive Multimedia

Ø When the user is given the option of controlling the elements.

Hyper Media

Ø A combination of hypertext, graphics, audio, video, (linked elements) and interactivity culminating in a complete, non-linear computer-based experience.

LINEAR

Ø It is not interactive

· User have no control over the content

· Example: movie, A non-interactive lecture / demo show

NON-LINEAR

Ø It is interactive

Ø Users have control over the content

Ø Users are given navigational control

· Example: Games, Courseware, Interactive CD

Authoring Tools

Ø Use to merge multimedia elements (text, audio, graphic, animation, video) into a project.

Ø Designed to manage individual multimedia elements and provide user interaction (if required).

Ø Example:

· Macromedia Author ware

· Macromedia Director

· Macromedia Flash

· Microsoft Power Point

Importance of Multimedia

1. Business

· Sales / Marketing Presentation

· Trade show production

· Staff Training Application

· Company Kiosk

2. Education

· Courseware / Simulations

· E-Learning / Distance Learning

· Information Searching

3. Entertainment

· Games (Leisure / Educational)

· Movies

· Video on Demand

· Online

4. Home

· Television

· Satellite TV

· SMS services (chats, voting, reality TV)

5. Public Places

· Information Kiosk

· Smart Cards, Security

Multimedia Products

1. Briefing Products

Ø Small, straightforward, linear products used to present information quickly and concisely.

2. Reference Products

Ø Often used for answering specific questions or for general browsing of information. (stored on CD/ DVD ROM)

3. Database Products

Ø Similar to reference product in a sense that large amount of information are made available to the end user.

4. Education and Training Products

Ø Similar to textbook or training manuals but have added media such as audio, animation and video.

5. Kiosk

Ø A product which is usually stationed at public places and allow the user to find information interactively and also other types of transaction.

6. Entertainment and Games

Ø Most popular

Ø Shipped in the form of Interactive CD / DVD ROM.

If you want a pdf file of the whole lesson, you can reach out to me at haleofanight@gmail.com. I'm selling my notes/reviewer for 50 pesos only.