35- Preperations

Jess Pov

The night before the mission to infiltrate the Kingdom of Howls, Ren and I decided to spend the night at his home. Against my will, Ren decided to tag along my father and I because he wanted to make sure I would be alright. Not to sound mean but I probably can handle myself better than him.

Ren and I were sitting in the living room watching TV when Ren’s five year old nephew barged in with a wide grin. He was a little blond boy with bright brown eyes and looked a lot more like Ren than he did his parents. His name was Kenny and he was a little devil but every one absolutely loved him to bits.

“Uncle Wen” Kenny screamed and tackled Ren’s leg.

“Hey twerp” Ren grin and lifted the boy on his lap. He ruffled his hair which received a whine from the little boy. “Aren’t you supposed to be in bed?”

“I’m not tiwed” Kenny pouted “Hey Aunty Jess”

“Hey Ken” I smiled at him. I loved children and I had fallen in love with Kenny the moment he smiled at me. Ren and I made jokes that I would leave him for his nephew and it was a good idea if Ren’s sister didn’t scare the wits out of me when she’s mad. Lynda, Ren’s older sister, was by far the ruler of the family with her wits and her ability to manipulate the people around her. She was one of the sweetest people I have known except I have learned from past experience not get on her bad side.

“Uncle Wen, I’m hungwy” Ken said. He stood on Ren’s legs to seem taller than he actually was and pouted.

“You are? What do you want then?” Ren asked.

“Cookies!” Kenny exclaimed.

“Honey, I don’t think your momma would approve” I said to the boy. He looked sadly at me and I melted.

“It’s alright, Momma doesn’t have to know. It will be our own little secret” Ren grinned and I rolled my eyes. Ren was surely a boy at heart. He loved to play, tease and sneak around trying to be unnoticed. He’d usually get into trouble but never got big consequences because the pack enjoyed his good heart and playfulness.

  “Yay” Kenny cheered but hushed when Ren put a finger on his lips. He copied his uncle and put a finger on his lips as well.

Ren picked the boy up and twirled him in the air before putting him down. Kenny giggled and latched his hands securely to his uncle’s.  Together they tipped toed to the kitchen and peeked around the corner. I laughed internally at their ridiculous figures.

Ren made some invented sign language for Kenny to tell him the non-existent plan to steal cookies. When the coast was clear the boys tip-toed into the kitchen and hid behind furniture every time someone would pass by.

I followed them into the kitchen and sat on one of the dining chairs. Amused, I followed their journey to the other end of the room with my chin in my hands.

When the boys arrived at their destination, Ren lifted Kenny on the counter and grabbed the cookie jar from the shelf. He opened the lid and the boys dug in to get as many cookies as possible before someone saw them.

Unfortunately for them, I saw the back door open silently and a short figure came in. I couldn’t help but smile in anticipation for the horror of the next scene. Lynda saw the boys stuffing their pockets with cookies and made a low growl. Kenny was too busy with his task to notice his mother walking towards them but Ren froze and paled. He looked just in time to see his sister grabbing his ear and twisting it in an unreal position. Ren screeched worse than a girl and tried to get away from her iron hold. Kenny jumped in fear of his mother but she also grabbed his ear.