twenty-one

Edlyn and Jake were still in their dreamland, too tired to wake up. Mrs Sim felt annoyed and knocked on the door harder, trying to wake them up, "If you're not waking up, I'm coming in!"

Edlyn's eyes shot open and she immediately scurried to the bed, "Jake! Wake up!" He groaned and waved her away, still sleeping. She grabbed a pillow and smacked him hard in the face, "Wake up! Your grandma is coming in!"

It was his turn to panic and he quickly pushed the blanket to the side, "Get in here!"

She instantly got on the bed and he wrapped his arms around her. They both tried to hold hands but were confused on how to. The door opened and revealed Mrs Sim holding a tray of pancakes, "Look at you two lovebirds."

Jake and Edlyn could only laugh in pain. She tried to make herself comfortable in his arms but he was too tense. "We're going shopping later so get ready and be downstairs in an hour," the old lady ordered before leaving the room.

He pushed Edlyn off the bed and she landed on her butt, wincing in pain. "Yah! It hurts!" She yelled angrily. He sighed, "You're lucky I didn't just ditch you at the side of the road for smacking me in the face. It hurts, you know!"

She glared as he walked slowly to the bathroom, locking the door. She threw the blanket at the bathroom door, "Just you wait when we get a divorce, I'll make sure to reveal every embarrassing moment you had," she gritted her teeth out of anger.

Edlyn walked outside to get some fresh morning air. She inhaled and smiled as she saw birds flying to search for food. The sky was blue and the trees were green. The house was next to the lake and admired the beautiful view, hoping that it would last long in her memory.

She jumped in surprise when a grown man groaned in pain behind her. She saw Mr Sim holding his bleeding hand with a cloth, getting hurt from carving wood. "Grandpa!" She rushed towards him. She held his hand and closed her eyes, feeling sick when she saw the blood coming out.

"Sit down, grandpa. I'll search for the first-aid kit," she rushed back into the house. She rummaged through the drawers in the kitchen. She stopped for a while and leaned against the counters, calming her heart down.

She held her chest and tried to calm her beating heart, feeling annoyed that she had the time to get sick when her grandfather-in-law was bleeding badly. She found the kit and ran back outside, seeing the blood already dripping on the ground.

"I'll clean the blood for you, Mr Sim," she smiled and exhaled heavily before wiping the wound with medicine. "I assume you don't like to see blood. Why are you still helping me treat my wound?" He asked confusedly.

"Your wound would get infected if I don't treat it immediately. Now stay still, grandpa," she answered softly as she calmed herself down, seeing the blood dripping down on her clothes.

"Why do you want to become a surgeon, Edlyn?"

She thought for a while, "I want to save people. There's this one person I couldn't save when she was dying. I don't want to repeat that mistake ever again. Her brain was injured so she ended up dying on the spot. I don't want to let that happen again."

"You know, things happen for a reason. Maybe her time has come? Whoever you're referring to, her time probably has come. We can't mourn for her death forever but we can learn from our mistakes. I think you will be a great neurosurgeon in the future."

She smiled and wrapped a bandage around his hand, "Done."

"Thank you, dear," he thanked before starting to tidy up his table. She watched him as she thought about what he said.

Edlyn walked into the bedroom, earning Jake's full attention. He was putting on a t-shirt but stopped when he saw the blood on her clothes, "Did you kill someone or something?"

What he asked made her glared at him, "Killed? I was also injured! I didn't have time to kill her!" She said angrily before rushing towards the bathroom, slamming the door. She started washing the bloodstain on her clothes, panicking that it wouldn't come off.

She was worried as the memories started flooding in her mind all over again. Jake might joke around saying she killed someone, but he didn't know that she has been blaming herself for her mother's death for years already.

Jake looked at the door confusedly, standing there dumbfounded, "Did she kill someone for real?"

He started to get worried and knocked on the door, "Edlyn. Are you alright?"

On the other side of the door, she was sitting on the floor, leaning against it. She stared at her hands for a while. Her brother would already be there to comfort her but he was not around. She couldn't expect Jake to do that.

She pulled herself together and got into the shower to clean herself.