˗ˋ 41

CHAPTER FORTY ONE

-: seventh year :-

── IN WHICH SHE
ARRIVES IN DEVON

. . .

Rosie had forgotten just how close the Diggorys lived to the Weasleys. Elora Diggory had been waiting inside the Three Broomsticks with two decorative shot glasses in front of her and an bottle of amber-coloured Firewhiskey from the bar, they had talked for a short while as she gave the girl a shot or two for courage and discussed the state of which her son had woken up into. She had expected her to be a little more serious about it all, but her gratitiude seemed to have opened up a new realm of kindness, and when they finally got up to apparate to the house, there had been a grasp on her hand that seemed particularly gentle. 

But now that she was stood outside the house, everything seemed real. She remembered walking through the village of Ottery St. Catchpole a couple years ago with Fred and George, had noticed the house at the end of the long lane, just slightly up on the hill and covered in ivy but didn't mention it to it. Rosie hadn't realise just who lived there and that she could just about see Ron's room right at the top of the Burrow when standing on the stone front step. 

There was a sticky feeling in her mouth she couldn't quite get rid of, and an immense relief sitting in her stomach that she had spent many years at Hogwarts drinking until she puked at the various Hogwarts parties because otherwise, she definitely would have been more affected by the Firewhiskey that Elora had pushed towards her. The relief was joined by the sense of feeling as though she needed to puke her guts up with nerves. 

Elora held open the deep green door, watching as Rosie stood on the front step. "You are coming in, aren't you? Elora smiled. "If I can hear properly, he's just in the conservatory in the back.. it looks out on the rest of the village. You're friends with the Weasley twins right, because you can see their house from here."

"Yeah, Fred and George are my best friends." Rosie nodded, staring at the wooden floors before stepping inside. "Um, I'll just take my boots off quickly, it'll only take two seconds." 

"Of course." Elora smiled down at her, clasping her hands together as she kicked off her own shoes. "Do you want some tea? I'll bring it through with some biscuits after I go and tell Susie I'm back." 

"Susie?" Rosie asked, carefully bending down in order to begin and unzip the leather. 

"Our nearest neighbour. Amos is at work, and we thought it best not to leave him alone so she's watching him when we go out. Lovely lady, you'll probably see her in a moment and.." Elora's voice dropped to a whisper. "She doesn't know we're wizards, but she is a bit dotty so she could say something weird. But.. the conservatory is through there and well, it's pretty obvious." The woman gestured, before turning her back and heading down the hallway.

That prompted Rosie to speed up, tugging off the tight leather with a rigour and speed she didnt know quite possible with that type of boots, leaving them neatly by the door before padding through into the room that Elora pointed out. There were voices coming through the archway at one end of the room, a pretty set of counters indicating it was the kitchen, and Rosie averted her eyes over the oak table and towards the glass. There was music coming from in there and she took a hesitant step towards it, hand reaching for the dark metal door handle.

She pushed it open gentle, stepped down onto the carpeted step beneath. The conservatory did have a great view, and it was filled with a flower patterned but very comfortable-looking sofa and chair set. There was an old record player in the corner, a small piano, a rack of records and several plants around, as well as a head of butter-like hair, with a pile of books on the coffee table in front of him. 

Rosie shifted on her feet. It was her first time seeing him awake, first time properly seeing him alive, and she had no idea how to approach him. 

But as careful as she had been to enter quietly so as to not surprise him, she hadn't considered the fact that the door would close with a very audible 'click', glass rattling in it's hinges.

Rosie's eyes widened, Cedric's head spun around and she suddenly felt as if she really would throw up. 

Cedric was on his feet suddenly, book discarded and held open by pushing it down over the wood. "Hi." He said, eyes flickering up and down her appearance as she knotted her fingers together over her stomach. 

"Hi." Rosie blinked. "Um - well.. I suppose you don't recognise me.. so..." The strap of her bag was sliding off slightly as she stepped onto the floor of the conservatory, placing it carefully on the back of the sofa and holding out her hand. "I... I'm Rosie. Rosie Kersey." 

"Oh." Cedric's eyes brightened slightly as he reached forward to shake the hand she held out. There wasn't any type of recognition in them. "I'm Cedric, but I think you know that." 

"Right, I do." Rosie nodded. "Um, sorry to interrupt your reading but.. I've been waiting to speak to you for a while. Since you fell into the coma, actually." She tucked a curl of hair behind her ear. 

"So that'll be a while then." He smiled, the sort of easygoing expression that had featured upon his face several times in Rosie's immediate memories. "Pleased to meet you.. again, Rosie. Have  a seat."

"Right." Rosie nodded, picking up her bag and moving around to sit on the edge of the couch, legs curled under her. "What are you reading?" She asked, turning towards the pile. "Jane Austen?"

"Yeah, they're my mum's. And the music. That's all hers as well." Cedric said, watching as she took one off of the pile. "You can read it if you want, I'll keep on with this one."

"Yeah, okay." Rosie agreed, opening book at the first page. They fell silent. 

She didn't want to admit just how much it made her want to cry.