twenty-two

Mrs Sim was dragging Jake around the mall as Edlyn followed them from behind. She looked at the floor with a frown and didn't notice him stopping, making her bump into his back.

"Watch where you are going," he warned out of frustration. She nodded before apologising. They all went into a clothing store. Mrs Sim was eyeing the dress section and kept glancing at Edlyn, trying to pick one for her.

Jake waited at the seating area, watching his wife as she walked around, looking at the shoe section. She looked at the price and widened her eyes, "Even though I can afford it but it still feels wrong," she mumbled to herself.

She put the heels back and bit her bottom lip, staring at it for a while. He sighed and got up to see the price, choking on his saliva. He could afford two luxury handbags to buy the pair of heels.

"Do you want this?" He asked her. Edlyn shook her head 'no' and laughed nervously, "You don't have to! I have many shoes at home."

"I didn't say I was going to buy them for you," he said blankly. She clenched her fists and rolled her eyes, "Didn't have to ask me about it then," she muttered.

"Edlyn! Come here!" Mrs Sim called. Edlyn watched as the older woman picked out a few dresses for her, "Try all of these and tell me which one you like. I'll buy them all."

"Grandma, you don't have to-"

"I insist," she said sternly before pushing her granddaughter-in-law into the fitting room.

Edlyn frowned when she wore a pink floral dress. The design was too much for her and she looked like a walking clown. That dress was also Mrs Sim's favourite pick so she didn't want to offend her. She slowly opened the door and walked out, showing the dress.

"You look stunning, sweetie!" The older lady said. Jake tried to hide his laugh but it ended up being a snort. She glared at him and was about to punch him but Mrs Sim held both of her shoulders, "No fighting, no fighting. Ignore him. He's just jealous that I'm spoiling you right now."

Edlyn inhaled deeply, "I don't like the dress, grandma."

"Why?" The older woman asked. "Sorry to say but it makes me look like a walking clown," she answered, earning a scoff from her annoying husband.

"Well then, how about you go try on the dresses that you like from the ones I chose. I'll help Jake pick some clothes for a while," Mrs Sim smiled, motioning for her to go back into the fitting room.

Jake exhaled heavily as he looked at himself in the mirror. He looked handsome as always in a suit. He walked out at the same time as Edlyn walked out of the fitting room. She looked at him up and down, admiring him secretly. He stared at her wearing a white elegant dress. The dress made her look like a princess.

They both avoided eye contact awkwardly until they heard a camera flashing. Mrs Sim happily took their picture together, "You both look like you're attending a wedding together as a couple! I would love to see that happen! You should get the dress and suit."

"I do love the dress," Edlyn smiled brightly, making Jake blush. He stared at her as she laughed with his grandmother, choosing other dresses happily.

I didn't know she could be that beautiful in that dress, he thought to himself.

Jay sighed as he stared at his mother's grave. It was her memorial that day. Mr Park smiled softly, "I wonder how Edlyn's doing right now."

Jay chuckled and showed him the picture that Jake's grandmother sent. His father laughed softly, "Look at them standing next to each other awkwardly. Your mother and I were arranged too. And we both eventually fell in love. We both confessed after a big fight."

"Are you saying Edlyn and Jake will fall in love? I mean, when Edlyn is determined to get a divorce, she will do it. Jake is still enjoying his single life dating around and working, so I don't think those two would end up with each other."

"Jay, that's what your mother and I thought. Now look at us, if she's still alive, we would be growing old together. Enough about me, when are you going to find someone to grow old with?"

"I found her. But, she doesn't love me back. So I don't want to think of anything. I just want to work," he answered his father before putting a bouquet next to the gravestone.

Mr Park knew it was about Daera but chose not to further the question. "It's the fourth time already and Edlyn still doesn't want to come to visit mom on her memorial."

"Let's respect her decision, Jay. You know how traumatised she was, seeing her mother dying in front of her own eyes."

"She still thinks she killed mom. Until when will she be like that? Do you know that she failed the surgery test on a cadaver? She puked and ran away from class. Thank God Heeseung found her in the hallway. How can she be a surgeon if she's afraid of blood and performing surgery?"

"I don't have high hopes for her to be a neurosurgeon. If she succeeds in graduating then I would be proud but if she fails, I'll let her pursue her choice of career. And I hope you can take over another hospital of mine," Mr Park sighed tiredly.

Jay nodded slowly and helped his father walk back to the car.