Chapter 46: Patronus

Y/n's POV:
A few weeks passed since my first quidditch match. My arm is back to normal, although Fred swears to protect it at every chance he got. Umbridge has been getting worse. She's started a inquisitorial squad made up of Slytherins and Filch. NEWTs we're coming up. I've been in the library for hours on end just revising.

If it had not been for the DA lessons, I thought I would have been extremely unhappy. I sometimes felt I was living for the hours he spent in the Room of Requirement, working hard but thoroughly enjoying myself at the same time, swelling with pride as I looked around at my fellow DA members and saw how far we had come. Indeed, I sometimes wondered how Umbridge was going to react when all the members of the DA received 'Outstanding' in their Defence Against the Dark Arts OWLs and NEWTs.

We had finally started work on Patronuses, which everybody had been very keen to practise, though, as Harry kept reminding them, producing a Patronus in the middle of a brightly lit classroom when they were not under threat was very different from producing it when confronted by something like a Dementor.

"A patronus is extremely hard to make. You have to think of your happiest memory and solely focus on it." Harry instructed. "But don't be sad if it doesn't work first time."

"Oh, don't be such a killjoy," said Cho brightly, watching her silvery swan-shaped Patronus soar around the Room of Requirement during their last lesson before Easter. "They're so pretty!"

"They're not supposed to be pretty, they're supposed to protect you," said Harry patiently. "What we really need is a boggart or something; that's how I learned, I had to conjure a Patronus while the boggart was pretending to be a Dementor"

"But that would be really scary!" said Lavender, who was shooting puffs of silver vapour out of the end of her wand "And I still — can't — do it!" she added angrily.

Neville was having trouble, too. His face was screwed up in concentration, but only feeble wisps of silver smoke issued from his wand tip.

"You've got to think of something happy," Harry reminded him.

"I'm trying," said Neville miserably, who was trying so hard his round face was actually shining with sweat.

"Harry, I think I'm doing it!" yelled Seamus, who had been brought along to his first ever DA meeting by Dean. "Look — ah — it's gone ... but it was definitely something hairy, Harry!"

Hermione's Patronus, a shining silver otter, was gambolling around her.

"They are sort of nice, aren't they?" she said, looking at it fondly.

"Your turn George" I said to the younger twin.

"Expecto Patronum" he called. I don't know what he was thinking of, but it was definitely strong enough. A silver magpie erupted from his wand and began to fly around the room. It soared gracefully above every head in the room.

"Go on Fred!" I called. Fred gave me a smile and made a powerful memory.

"Expecto Patronum" he said. His memory was also strong enough. A identical magpie erupted out of his wand too. It joined George's magpie and the two flew around together.

"Your turn lovey" Fred said still focusing on his memory but awaiting my patronus. I recalled the happiest memory I can think of. The evening where the Fred Weasley asked me to be his girlfriend. I remembered the lights, the food and the music. A perfect night.

"Expecto Patronum" I yelled. Silver wisps fluttered out of my wand. They soon turned into a beautiful silver badger. It began to chase the twins magpies around the room. It knocked over Ron and Dean Thomas in the process. I noticed that Luna Lovegood conjured a beautiful rabbit that bounced around the room.