Chapter 68

Chapter 68

"Do most palaces have extravagant gardens like this?" Shashi asked as they stared at the garden in awe.

There were a few green-tinted transparent statues scattered all over the garden. They seemed to depict holy figures and almost blended in with the curated nature around them. Moss covered the stepping stones and there were many pots with lotus plants floating in them. The two stood side by side as they strolled through the garden and took in the scenery.

"Yes, the palace back in Isla had it as well. I even got to visit Lamai's garden."

"Who's Lamai?" They stared at her with furrowed eyebrows.

Pranee blinked as she realized what she said. "The nagi queen."

"Did she mention her name when you two talked that night?" They asked.

"Um... I don't recall," Pranee replied.

"Hm."

"Hm?" Pranee mimicked the sound that Shashi made and their head snapped to her.

"I was just thinking about how long we're staying in Also." They stretched their neck to the side. "In regular circumstances, I would've wanted to go straight back to my tower and continue my studies."

"Ah... but it was taken away by the king." Shashi picked at the grass with their toes.

"Mm, yeah. I know P'Tanet is trying to fight for the throne but do you need to be involved?"

Pranee thought it over, unsure what to say. It would make sense for her to be by her brother's side since it was a family fight. A very violent and costly family fight but that was normal with royalty.

"I have a duty to my family..." Pranee said.

"But what would you do?"

"I don't know, but I have to stay until it ends. Maybe another miracle would happen." She fiddled with her robes. "That would mean I would need to get another wig."

Shashi halted in their steps causing Pranee to stop in her tracks as well. Their eyes were locked on hers and their eyes seemed cloudy.

"Pranee?"

She blinked. "Yes?"

"Why are you always hiding?"

Her mouth hung open and she rubbed her hand against her arm. "What do you mean?"

"You are ashamed of your looks. You didn't want to introduce yourself to mae... I even notice you pulling away too quickly whenever someone comes."

Pranee felt something twist in her chest and she looked at the ground.

"Is it me? Are you ashamed of me?"

"No." She said it so quickly that it even surprised Shashi. "It's not that."

"Then what is it?"

She struggled to find the answer and Shashi gave a dejected sigh.

"Pranee, we haven't really talked about... us. But do you have an idea on what you want? From me? From... us?"

"I don't know." She put a hand on her head, the shame piled on her shoulders.

They kicked the ground with their heel and sucked the air through their teeth. "I'll give you time to figure it out but I can't wait that long."

"Shashi..."

The wind began to pick up and the small statues began to shake. Shashi instantly looked up and Pranee followed their gaze. Dark clouds swirled above the garden and there was a shadow of a figure in the middle of it. It became larger and larger until Pranee could register what or who it was.

It was Ubol.