𝐱𝐱𝐢. the behemoth shall never go away.

꧁—— ❦ ——꧂

꧁—— ❦ ——꧂

Transient coruscant limelight materialized her every step, a soundless auditorium that reverberated every word, critical and harsh eyes burning holes within her skull; everything suddenly felt so real, and it put her on edge.

The fact that it was mid October had reignited a fire doused months ago, embers of excitement that sent her into a frenzy of late nights with Katalina to recite lines already ingrained in her mind, eyes heavy with exhaustion and tea stains scattered across her desk, Lavinia was well prepared for the auditions — or so she thought she was. The second she'd set foot upon the stage her stomach lurched, and she had come to the realization of just how many students actually attended her school. As the centre of attention ( and she truly did not do well in a feat as such, hence the urge to run off the stage and call it an early day ) she'd known there would be an audience, but with her teachers and peers watching her every movement she could feel the judgemental stares that burned her skin raw, the nasty whispers that were certainly bursting her eardrums, and she truly thought she was going to vomit.

In hindsight, perhaps it hadn't been a good idea to think she could stand in front of every student who had ever tormented and taunted her, every teacher that graced her with unwanted pity, but she knew that now; knew that her peers still harboured ill-will despite having a friend to call her own, knew that her teachers were waiting for the moment her charade cracked at the base and came crumbling down, and most importantly, knew that Sophia Wilson was spreading absolutely foul rumours about her being. Here she stood, a lamb to the slaughter ( though she's not exactly as innocent as the lamb, is she? ) and offered herself up as bait to the cruel words of those around her with one last feeble attempt at soothing her jittery nerves. But no amount of self-soothing could still her hands and steady her voice in only the way she knew Harry could, and not for the first time, nor the last, was she suddenly wishing he were here.

"You may start whenever you're ready, Miss Vinke." The theatre teacher droned, impatiently pushing on the tip of her retractable pen.

Click.

Click.

Click.

"Right..." Lavinia said, thickly swallowed and cleared her throat.

Click.

Click.

Click.

"If they do see thee, they will murder thee." Lavinia's voice wavered as the whispers grew louder in tune with the words, and for the first time in many years, she had forgotten the following lines.

You're just reading with Harry, that's all, she thought, attempting to soothe her nerves one last time.

"Alack, there lies more peril in thine eye, than twenty of their swords; look thou but sweet, and I am proof against their enmity."